Chapter 11

Previously

      Marti got up as her mother called the three of them to dinner. Hopefully he wasn't lying..

----------------------------------------------

      At dinner the four of them talked and laughed. Marti smiled. Seems like her mother and brother like him more than she thought. And not once did he flirt with her in front of them.
     "So Juan. Tell me how you two met?" Mary said as Juan smiled and told her how he flirted with her when she was new at the school.
     "It was cute really. Her face went so red when my accent came out." He chuckled.
     "Juan!" She blushed and hid her face as Tim chuckled.
     "She does get embarrassed easily."
     "Tim!" Mary laughed softly.
     "That is true. How did you two become friends?"
     "I asked her out to lunch on a Saturday and we started hanging out since." Juan smiled. "It wasn't a date. More like an invite and she accepted. She nodded, confirming what he just said.
     "That was nice of you. Not many people treat us with kindness."
     "Really? You guys are nice people though."
     "Yes, well.. Some events have occurred over the years before we moved here."
     "I see. I understand that. I won't pet into anything." He said softly. Tim nodded.
     "You're a good guy Juan. And thank you for looking after my little sister."
     "No problem." He smiled.

      After dinner, Juan went to the living room and looked at some of the pictures. One in particular caught his eye. It was a picture of Marti when she was 5, Tim when he was 8, and her parents. He looked at it until a familiar voice called him.
     "Juan?" He turned to see Marti.
     "Hey Marti. Was this taken when you were little?"
     "Yes. When I was 5. Juan? Can you come with me please?" She asked softly and he nodded, setting the picture down and following her upstairs to her room. It was nice with some space and the walls were painted emerald green. Must be her favorite color. She closed the door and sat down on her bed, patting the space next to her. He joined her and looked at her.
     "Marti? What's wrong?"
     "I'm sorry.. For ignoring you the past week and a half.. It's just that when you asked me that question, I got scared..."
     "Scared of what..?" He asked softly as he gently took her hand in his.
     "Everything.." She whispered as she teared up. "M-my father was a drinker.. A heavy one.. He would usually abuse me and Mama when he came home... Mama finally stood up and divorced him, gaining full custody of me and my brother for 8 years now.. It hurt. I really did. And on top of that I-" She stopped as she teared up more.
     "What..?" Juan asked as he turned toward her and gently wiped her tears away
     "I was treated horribly at my old school.. I always faked a smile and acted like nothing was bothering me when really I wanted nothing more than to just cry and give up.. The only people who I turned to and I still do are Mama and Tim.." In that moment Juan wrapped his arms around Marti and hugged her gently. She was surprised at how gentle he was being as well as why he was doing this. Especially after she avoided him for some time..
     "Marti... I'm sorry.. Really. You didn't deserve that.. But don't push me away.. Please." He said softly before she started crying, gripping onto his shirt. He loved her.. He knew that now and he would do anything for her.. It pained him to see her this way instead of the energetic, cheerful girl he knew. But she opened up to him and that only made him love her more..
      When she calmed down, he pulled away to look at her. Just as she was about to say something, he quickly leaned in and planted his lips on hers.