Chapter Three

"Why didn't you just tell Miss Hunter?"

"Tell her what, exactly?" I asked as Abby and I hurried along the hallway to our first class. "Helen only said the painting was missing; not which one. Miss Hunter will already know that. It isn't likely that Helen took the painting herself. She does, however, know everything that goes on in the school, which explains why she would use it for this challenge."

Abby frowned, not looking even slightly convinced. "She could be bluffing, wanting you to make a fool of yourself. After all, didn't she say 'if' a painting were to go missing? It may not have been taken. There could be nothing wrong at all."

I considered that as we entered the classroom. "True. All the more reason to be cautious." While it was possible that's what Helen was up to, I couldn't see her having the wits to pull it off. Still, I consigned her to the tentative list of suspects I had in my head.

That list was rather extensive by the time lunch came around. As I prearranged with Abby, we sat apart to learn as much as we could. A theft was definitely something the other students would be talking about.

Only...it wasn't.

There was no mention of any object of any kind having gone missing. Was that the point of this challenge? To figure out that there was no puzzle? To stop the crime before it happened? Or was Abby correct in thinking Helen and her friend simply wanted to laugh at my gullibility?

Somehow, I didn't think so, but where to look for my first clue?

"Maybe she didn't mean a painting exactly?" Abby suggested when we met up outside the school once our classes were done.

"Or maybe it hasn't been taken yet."

"Maybe we need a change of view."

With a tolerant sigh, I glanced at my friend who failed to keep an innocent expression on her face. There was something to what she said, though. "Shall we discuss this over some baked goods?" I asked.

"You must have read my mind," Abby said with delight. Her appetite for sweet things far surpassed my own, a fact I had once thought impossible.

Sadly, our excursion did nothing but fill our stomachs with pastry. With some free time before we were expected back, we decided to continue with a walk. Our random path took us near the train station and that's when I saw him: a familiar, older gentleman.

"Can it be?" I breathed, astonished and delighted all at the same time. Quickening my steps, I left Abby's side and hurried towards him. "Dr. Watson? This is a surprise! Whatever brings you here?"

He faced me and exclaimed, "Miss Norton!" The kindly doctor took my hand, his smile making his eyes twinkle with delight. "You're looking well."

"And you. But why are you here?"

His eyes shifted to the side. "Oh, you know how it can be. Wherever Holmes deems fit to send me for a case, that is where I must go."

"A case has brought you here?" I could barely keep the eagerness from my voice.

"Now, Miss Norton, I know you're eager to help," Dr. Watson said with a laugh, "but I don't think Holmes will need your talents this time."

With a huff, I pulled my hand away. "I didn't mean to imply such a thing. I was merely intrigued by the idea of some crime having ties to here."

The doctor chuckled. "Of course. As if I do not know you are as eager for a puzzle as Holmes is." He straightened his shoulders. "In any event, I must be off, Miss Norton. Give Miss Hunter my regards."