Arrival

Slowly the jungle faded into a grassy plain. The humidity disappeared, and the heat dissipated. Though it was nothing compared to the deserts of the south, my skin started to dry and crack. I'd spent my whole life in the jungle, it was more like swimming through the air instead of walking. Mary seemed to enjoy the change of scene, she had lived in the desert most of her life. I hope the climate wouldn't affect my performance in the tournament.

As we traveled we started to see more people journeying towards the festival. I could see small children with their families, skipping and laughing. The children were full of excitement and curiosity. How different we were, these children and I. It struck me that I was no more that six years older then these children, but how drastically our lives differed. The weigh of adulthood had fallen on my shoulders at a young age, much to young. I remember the day were it seemed to dawn on me that my parents were horrible rulers, the day adulthood came over me. A maid had simply tripped in the hallway, and accidentally spilled wine on my mothers silk dress. My mother was filled with fiery rage, it blinded her, she was no longer able to think reasonably. My father was terribly submissive and so when my mother demanded she be punished, my father lacked the strength to say no. They whipped her in the courtyard, and I was forced to attend. I remember how the leather strip ripped her delicate skin, the way she screamed in pain upon every strike. They left her there for hours, tied up to a wooden pole, bleeding, and naked. The image had burned itself into my mind, I would never forget get it. My mother and father spent that night in tears, terrified by their cruel actions. For once I was unable to comfort them, this inhumane judgement was wrong, I wouldn't tell them otherwise. The fierce memories left my shaken, my body covered in goose bumps. I hope these innocent ones would never have to face this, the knowledge that your parents were cruel. It's hard missing people you know hurt people, but asking me to not love them was unthinkable. Their were my parents, my caretakers, my loving protectors. They always made me feel strong and loved, no matter how bad I messed up. But they were gone, and I was here, fighting for the country they left me. This thought steeled my determination, and it called my worried mind as we made our way to the Festival of Fire.

It was the sounds I noticed first, the laughter and excited cheering. I blinked the daze from my eyes, and looked up to see tents and a smiling crowd of people. Then the smell wafted through the air, the pleasant scents of fresh pastries and roasting meat. My stomach growled loudly, and Mary chuckled gleefully. She punched me in the air as she looked outside, her eyes glimmered with amazement as if she was innocent like a child. She was pure, and unnervingly good.  The way Mary lived her life was like that a true lady, with easy smiles and great manners. She would of been a better queen than me, a queen the kingdom could respect.  Unlike the rebellious mess of a woman I was. I couldn't, though, find it in me to be jealous of her. I was who I was, and she was her. She just happened to be a little ball of happiness and kindness. I smiled to myself, and Mary took notice.

"What is it?" She asked worriedly.

"I was just thinking about how wonderful you are," I giggled. Her face turned an appealing shade of pink, but she smiled wide showing off her adorable dimples.

"Why thank you Nabal, you are not so bad yourself," she bubbled. I hugged her and fought off a weak sob. It was nice to know someone thought so. 

"Mary you are like the sister I never had, you are my closest friend. I wouldn't want to here with anyone else," I admitted letting go of her to look into her loving brown eyes.

"That means the world to me," she conceded,"but this better not be a farewell confession. You are going to do great Nabal, you'll be fine." She exclaimed, but it sounded more like she was trying to convince herself. So on that note we enter the festival, after finding proper housing for the horses and carriage that is. I quickly ran inside to conceal my face, when I finally came back outside what I saw amazed me. Mary handled the wild beasts like an expert, she didn't even seem to be scared of them!

"Mary, how are you so calm around those beasts?" I motioned to the horses. She looked at me with confusion, then her eyes took on a glimmer of humor.

"Are you afraid of horses?" She giggled.

"Of course, aren't you?" I replied. Wasn't everyone afraid of those monsters?

"Um no. Horses are docile and kind, almost no one is afraid of them," Mary chuckled. I turned red faced, I was always taught that horses would just as soon kill you as let you ride them. But as I think back on that, it does seem ridiculous. I was still sure I would never truly trust them though. As we walked through the festival we decide to stop to get lunch, it was midday by the time we had reached out destination. We dined on fresh pastries that were glazed with sugar and full of a sweet strawberry reduction. It was rich, but rated like heaven itself. I practically moaned as I took my first bite. I'm fairly sure Mary did moan as she ate, she had quite the sweet tooth. I smiled.

When we finished we went to our inn, where we had previously left the horses, and climbed the stair case to our room. I barely slept that night, tomorrow it was going to be real. Tomorrow I was going to be in the qualifying rounds of the fighting tournament. It somehow still didn't feel real. But it was here, and I was anxious. Several hours past before I finally slept.