Chapter One

I'm really starting to hate my life.

This summer and my senior year of high school was supposed to be amazing. My best friends and I were going to be picking out our final selections on colleges together. We had so many things planned out for this summer, since we more than likely going our separate ways for college.

That ship sailed.

Why? You may ask.

My parents went through a rough patch last year and just finalized their divorce. My mom couldn't stand living in the same city as my dad for another day. Which has now landed us here in L.A.

I wasn't fond of this idea due to it meaning that I would have to leave my friends and family. My home.

My mom would come out here a couple times a year due to her bestfriend and her son living out here. I was always so busy with school and sports to come out here. I haven't seen them in about five years.

As I look around our new house, I see there is still so much more work that needs to be done. As soon as we made it here yesterday, we went straight to sleep. The jet lag hit the best of us. Thank God we had all of our things shipped here in advance or else we would have been sleeping on the floors last night.

All of a sudden, I felt arms being wrapped around me. "This will be a new adventure for us." My mother said as she hugged me. I'm guessing she just finished unpacking her last box for the night. We have a dinner we have to get ready for since we are meeting up with aunt Beth and her...son.

"Yeah, sure." I fake smiled. She then spun me around to face her. "This is hard for me, just like it is for you. Do you really think I wanted to start my life all over again? I'm in for forties for Christ sake! Living in that house and staying in New York, kept bringing up past memories of your father and I. I needed this move to to officially move and get my life back on track. Taking you so far away from our family and your friends was hard but we needed at a change. A positive change. We will get through this together sweetheart." She spoke and lightly kissed my forehead.

" I know mom. I hope everything works out for us out here. If I start to feel lonely or unhappy, I can always invite the girls out here to visit this summer." I finally gave her a genuine smile and hugged her again just so she knows I understand.

I may be unhappy about this move but to be honest, we did need this change. Especially, my mom. I remember seeing her cry so many times. She would try so hard not to show her emotions when my dad would be gone for days, weeks or even months at a time. I know it was really hard for her.

Our first thought would always be that he was on another business trip. My dad is a divorce attorney for a lot of celebrities, so there was no doubt he was busy most of the time. Come to find out, most of those trips, weren't always for 'business'. He was actually off starting a new family with a woman whose closer to my age than his.

My mom hit rock bottom when she was served those divorce papers. Some days I would come home and she would be in a good mood. The house would be clean and dinner would be cooked. Then there was those days when she would be holed up in her rooms and there would be no sign of her for days.

It was so depressing seeing her that way. She has always been so full of life. I've always admired my mom. She was known as 'the' housewife. But she wasn't the typical housewife, my mom was extraordinary. She never hired any maids or nannies like others. My mom never wanted anyone to clean up our messes.

She always said, ' if you make the mess, you clean it up'. I'm so glad I was blessed with a mom who has always been so full of life, she wasn't like the other moms in our area, who thought they were better than everyone else. It's just one of the many things I love and admire about her.

In the back of my head, I kind of figured something was going to happen. My dad had became so distant, it's just this isn't what I was expecting.

After many months of my mom being in a slum, my aunt Beth was finally able to convince her to move to California. That's when she started becoming herself again.

Now my mom is finally starting to get back to doing what she loves. She's been running her own online boutique for quite some time now. I love seeing her in her work zone. You can tell she really loves and has so much passion for what she does. My mom has been talking about eventually opening her own store since it's been so successful online. Hopefully, with this new start for life, she can do that here.

"Everything is going to be just fine babygirl. We can start this new beginning off with Bethany and Aaron tonight. I heard he's quite the catch now." She wiggles her eyebrows.

I rolled my eyes. Just the thought of him, makes me cringe. He ruined most of my childhood. Plus, I don't plan on thinking about dating anyone new anytime soon. Since I had to move, I had to end a two-year relationship with my boyfriend because we knew we wouldn't be able to survive this long of distance relationship. It was a mutual agreement to just be friends even though we still love each other but our decisions was for the best.

"I don't even want to think about any guy right now mom. Especially, if it's Aaron. Do you remember what he did before they moved here? Aaron and his friends ransacked my room, took all my bras and threw them in the pool. He kept my hello kitty bra, I never got that one back." I frowned as my mother laughed.

"I remember when that happened. I'm pretty sure he didn't mean any harm. He just had a huge crush on you back then hun." He sure had a funny way of showing it. Aaron am made sure to make my life a living hell every single day. Our families thought it was cute with all the pranks he would pull on me, but it made my life horrible. I was a complete loner in school because of him.

They moved here to Cali when we were about to start high school. I was sad because I was really going to miss aunt Beth but I was also relieved because with Aaron leaving, I had new sense of happiness knowing that I could possible have an amazing high school experience and I did up until now that I have to spend my senior year with him. I wonder if he still the same. He also definitely wasn't good looking growing up.

I looked up at the clock. "I guess I should start getting ready for this dinner in hell." I sighed.  "Oh shush, it won't be that bad. I should get ready as well. Wear something classy Mya." She winked at me as she headed up the staircase.

I rolled my eyes and started to make my way upstairs too.

I'm so dreading this night...