Chapter 1: Reveal

'Gabrielle, I have some good news for you.' Melanie Briggs, my literary agent, was on the phone. 'It got green lit!'

I swear my heart stopped as I tried to process what she'd just told me. Green lit? My book, adapted?

'Gabi? Are you there?' she asked.

'I'm here!' I said, probably a lot more squeakily than intended. 'Are you sure?'

'Of course I'm sure. What kind of agent do you take me for?'

'Hold on,' I said, feeling a grin spread across my face. 'I'm just going to go tell my family.'

'Wait, no! You can't tell anyone yet. Your parents are probably okay, actually, I'm sure they can keep a secret. But don’t tell anyone else. Seriously.’

‘Damn. Right, wait a second.’ I put her on hold and ran into the next room where my mum was sitting. ‘Mam,’ I said, barely able to contain my excitement. ‘Want to hear a secret?’

She looked up from her book. ‘This better be good.’

I leaned in and whispered in her ear. ‘The script got greenlit! It’s going to be a movie!’

She screeched and leapt up, grabbing my hands and dancing around. I didn’t know she had that much energy in her.

‘I have to go back to Melanie for a minute, wait. And remember, you can’t tell anyone,’ I told her and ran back to the phone. ‘Okay, tell me more,’ I said.

Miraculously, she was still there. ‘Right, things are going to get busy for you now. First of all they’re going to want you in to sign a contract. That’ll be over in London, they’ll pay, don’t worry. I’ll get them to send a copy over first so we read through it together. That alright with you?’

‘Yep!’ I said. ‘When will I meet you?’

‘How about next Tuesday?’

‘I’ll be at school. Is 5 p.m. okay?’

‘Sure. My office, 5 on Tuesday. And by the way, congratulations. I’m very happy for you. How long has it been since publication, a year?’

‘Thanks, Melanie. I still can’t believe it. Bye!’

It was strange, really, how things changed.

__

‘This is a new year. A new beginning. And things will change.’  - Taylor Swift.