Chapter 5

The music played a light, friendly upbeat song over in the intercom while Joshua and Scooter sat at a table in a smoothie cafe. The cafe had a mellow, fruity vibe with bright colors and a cozy setting with simplistic decorations around and fun paintings hung on the walls. It had looked aesthetically pleasing when passersby can view through the window store.

It was just them as they both sipped their drinks and people were seen walking across the cafe.

A loud slurp was heard from Joshua, intaking of the nutrient flavor before releasing his mouth away from the straw.

Scooter took a break from his drink also when he stared at him more clearly.

Joshua began speaking. "From you giving me pointers to her giving me pointers, both have different needs."

Scooter just gave him a hesitant smile. "So did you learn from it?"

"Hearing two different sides, what am I supposed to follow?" He questioned.

"What do you think?"

"I think it's a bit too much to take in. Suddenly, there are guidelines to win a girl over? I'm very confused."

"But they're meant to take in consideration if you don't want to fail. You don't have a lot to lose," Scooter said with a raised eyebrow.

"My dignity," Joshua pointed out in a not joking way.

"How could it be a loss if you're doing it for someone you're trying to make an effort for?" His words spoke out before taking in another sip of his smoothie.

"Because the last thing I want to hear is rejection."

"She hasn't even reject you yet."

"And she won't. There's no chance." And even though it may sound harsh what Joshua was stating, he wanted to protect himself from any form of risk.

"Is she that bad?" Scooter asked.

"Bad? What, no," Joshua said in disbelief. "She's good. Too good, in fact."

"Then don't let your shattered esteem hold you back. I recommend that you can start off as being friends. It won't be a bad idea to get to know her more."

Friends, huh? Joshua thought about that and the idea of what being friends could mean to him. 

Another loud sip was taken from Scooter and then he continued his sentence. "It's understandable that you're not comfortable around her because you don't know her know well so why don't you?"

He shook his head at that. Joshua was quick to oppose. "I don't know.." He hesitated.

"I've seen you. Every time she walks into the room, your heart goes crazy, and you look away while all the other guys stare," Scooter told him.

He nodded weakly. It was true. Every time she walked by whether in class or out in the hallway, she was greeted amiably by other guys and he was the one to turn his gaze away.

Joshua thought that he wasn't worthy to even look her way and the fact he's, of course, shy around her.

He turned awkward with Scooter looking at him as he couldn't say anything and just sip his drink.

"Look, taking the first step isn't easy, but it isn't difficult once you get into it," Scooter said. "Just take a deep breath and go for it."

"Go for it?" 

"Yeah, just ask how she is and introduce yourself. Break that ice between you and her. I'm sure if you do that, you'll feel a lot better about yourself."

"But-"

"Meet her coincidentally. It's not strange since we all go to the same school."

"You know how I act." Joshua could recap. He doesn't want to go through that horror again. To act very foolishly in front of the girl he likes left a bad impression on himself.

"A foolish mistake doesn't make a man foolish. He's only foolish if he lets the smallest things get in the way from what he should do," Scooter answered with his eyes clouding with seriousness.

That was a solid advice he received from him. It was as if his friend gave him something that could be plausible. But another thing stood his way. "How do I start?"

"Tell her your name."

The name is the proper basis and a first step of getting to know someone else. He knew that and yet it sounded like the first time he's hearing about this.

"It all begins with a name."

Scooter half smiled. "From there, you go where it needs to take."

"Don't think of her as a girl you like, but the first time you're talking to someone. It's a small world, after all."

--

Dang, how did I get around 500 views? I didn't do anything. And I do notice there are still people out there who added this book into their reading list. Aha, thanks?? I guess I have a lot of silent readers or? I mean, come on, add some comments into this book too. Doesn't it need it love? And sorry for lack of updates, I don't have a schedule like some writers do. I just do it when I have time and inspiration for so. But Scooter, I think that's a good advice. Start by giving your name to someone and treat someone as if you're just talking to a person. Yes? Aha. I would think so.