Alfed

You wandered around the shelter for a while, your dull eyes scanning the pets. You decided to settle on a cat. The don't need as much attention, and they keep to themselves.

   Boy, were you wrong.

   Your watch beeped, and you sighed. You reached into your pocket and swallowed some pills, no water. A cat, who looked quite heavy, saw this and meowed. His little outburst made you look at him.

   As you walked to him, he rubbed against the cage, purring as loud as he possibly could. You stroked his fur through the bars.

   "You must have a hard life too, huh?" You asked him, fully knowing how he couldn't answer you. He meowed, looking at you with beautiful baby blue eyes. You informed the man at the desk that he was the one you wanted.

   Since you were prescribed to get a cat, you got a discount. You felt bad, so you payed in full anyway. The cat was put in a cage, not big enough for him. As soon as you got in your car, you let him out.

    "No reason for you to be in there, you're too fluffy." No one noticed, but you smiled a little. Alfred noticed. And for a second, the world seemed to stop and stare at you.

     In truth, you had the best smile anyone has ever seen. You never smile, though. Alfred seemed to catch on right away.

    "So, your name is supposed to be Alfred, right?" You asked the cat sitting in the seat. His ear twitched, and he went 'mew!'

     You laughed slightly. "I'll take that as a yes."