Chapter Four

5 weeks and 6 days

Today is Monday, and Monday means we have to work. We work Monday to Friday and get the weekends off. I own the most popular (and only) boutique in Delcora and James owns the pizza place next door to it.

I wake up at 7:00 am, and roll out of bed. I get showered up, throw on my clothes and blow dry my hair, thenI put on my makeup, and grab my keys before heading out. As I'm leaving, my neighbour Sara gives me a strange look. The only thing running through my mind is oh god I hope she didn't find out what we did the other night. I give her a nervous smile before heading out to my car.

When I get to the boutique I see James standing outside with a cigarette in his mouth.

"Those are bad for you.." I whine.

"I know. And that's why I'm quitting today."

"You say that all the time James." I say and he chuckles.

James puts out his cigarette and stomps it on the ground a few times to make sure it's really out. He gives me a small hug before opening the doors to the pizza shop.

"See you later?" He asks.

"Come over to my apartment around 7, I should be done by then."

"Ok sounds good." He replies.

I fumble with my keys before unlocking the doors to the boutique. I walk in and flick on the lights, the clothing racks glimmering, shoes sparkling, and I smile.

I sigh as my coworker Zoe walks in, the annoying ding of the bell on the boutique door echoing in my ears.

"We need to get that darn bell fixed." She says, laughing.

"Yeah we do." I say.

Zoe and I sell a lot today which surprises me, we've never made that much money. Then someone came in a bought ten shirts today! She is one of our most valuable costumers.

I head back to my apartment, Sara giving me another strange look before I go inside. I walk in, throwing my keys on the counter and plopping myself down on the couch.

"Emilee." I hear from down the hallway.

"James why didn't you say anything or come out to see me when I got here?" I say, walking down the hallway.

I walk into the room where I heard his voice, my bedroom, and he's no where to be seen. I take a step into my room and look around. I hear laughing and I turn around to see James standing there with a bouquet of flowers.

"For you, my lady." He says, bowing.

I giggle and take the flowers as he wraps his arm around my waist and we walk into the living room.

"Thanks for the flowers." I say.

"No problem, beautiful flowers for a beautiful girl." I blush when the words comes out of his mouth.

"Oh stop..." He looks at me with a look of love in his eyes and I snap out of my trance.

"I wish we could be like this in public."

"Me too...but we cant."

"I know." He says, a frown appearing on his face.

"What if we really are meant for eachother James?" I ask when we sit down for a while.

"I don't know Em, I do know I'd be the happiest man on earth because I'd get to spend the rest of my life with you as my partner. However, I doubt we will be.." He says, and looks a little saddened by his last sentence.

"I know... but you never know, right?"

"I guess."

I give James a soft kiss on the lips before going to my room to change.