Madder Than The Hatter.

     My life is a illusion, I don't know what is real; I don't know who is against me and who wants to watch me fall. 

Screams. My life was filled with screams; of agony, of pain, of despair, they were all the same. No one was safe; everyone had a part in a play that they did not want to act in. No one's soul was safe in a place of madness. 

Movement to my right made me lift my head. I'm not insane, I thought, not daring to utter the words in case they took it as an act of rebellion and I'll be back to the start. Flashes of white blurred past me as they saw to the others. Bright lights flashed in my eyes then it was gone. Everything was hurting. 

What had they done? 

Where is my escape to this nightmare? 

Or is this my reality? Nothing made sense. Lines overlapped and worlds collided. 

People clashed, bodies molded, souls cried. 

No one is safe in a world of madness. 

A blur of white stood before me, mouth moving around words I could not hear. 

Forgive me, I wanted to say. But I do not belong here. I am not insane. There must be a mistake. 

No mistake, they would say, looking down at their board of knowledge about me. You belong here.

You belong in the world of madness. Don't try to deny or your life will spiral down, out of control, out of reach from tiny hands. 

Don't worry, you'll be safe, they would tell me. 

A lie. All a lie. Believe nothing they say, they want to harm you, they want to bring you pain; they don't want you to escape. 

Don't leave me on my own, the world is spinning out of my control, I wanted to shout, I wanted to scream, hoping they would hear me. 

Believe me; I don't belong in this world. This world is for others, ones that cannot control their life, their mind; their soul. 

Don't believe a word they say, they want to harm you. Run away, they won't find you. Hide somewhere safe, a great escape. 

Don't trust the ones in white. Don't trust the one with black eyes. Don't lose your soul amongst the rest. Don't close your eyes, you will regret. 

Take a deep breath, a voice purred. 

Too close. I wanted to move away, my body wasn't my own. What was happening? Where was my will? Was it lost in the jungle of my brain? 

Close your eyes, you're safe, they said, their voice like venom and eyes like snakes. 

Leave me alone, I sobbed, hoping they would understand.

You're safe, my dear. Close your eyes and join me, join us. Let madness consume you until we are one. 

Don't trust the ones in white, I chanted; believing the words my mind threw at me. Don't trust the one with black eyes. Don't lose your soul amongst the rest. Don't close your eyes, you will regret. 

But my mind lied, my body disobeyed, my heart broke with every step that I take. 

I had to trust the ones in white. I had to trust the one with black eyes. I lost my soul amongst the rest. And the worse one, I closed my eyes and didn't regret. 

Inhaling white fumes to put my body to rest, my eyes landed on the one with black. Heart beat almost escaping my chest, I screamed out as they grinned, holding me down; trying to end my life with a prick of a small knife. 

He's behind you, I wanted to say. He will take over your mind and leave you raw. He will take what is ours and make it his own. He will own your body and consume your soul. He will erase your memories and fill the blank space with the ones of his own.

Don’t trust the one with the black eyes. Never trust the one with the black eyes.

But as my eyes slid close, foggy smoke filled the blanks in my mind. What was I suppose to remember? Something about a being with emotionless eyes, something I couldn’t remember.

But one thing I remembered for sure;

The one with the black eyes took my soul.