Epilogue

In 1775, Major Jacob Hayes returned home after a short engagement and a stint on an enemy prison barge, where he was wounded. He spent the duration of the war training fresh recruits, sending them to far-flung places with names like Valley Forge and Saratoga and, eventually, Yorktown. He also spent that time caring for his infant son, born ten months after his return, and being with his wife, Charlotte. They named their baby Patrick Laurent, after her father and his sister, and he was the delight of their later years. A continuing friendship with the Warren family was a part of his legacy. 

=/\= 

In 2285, Makan Sinthasomphone continued working on time travel as Monisha Padir kept looking for interesting places and times to send Robert Lennox. 

=/\= 

In 1775, the Duke of Richmond’s body was brought back to the Mother Country by ship as soon as it was possible. His title passed to his first-born son as his widow kept the family together. Lieutenant Colonel Francis Smith, to his credit, did not lose his commission over the death. 

=/\= 

In Yorktown in 1781, Wilbur Reed fought bravely, but in vain. He returned home to Leicester, and married his sweetheart. But their life together was cut short, and he returned for the War of 1812, and died in the Battle of New Orleans, leaving his widow to raise their young son, Steven, alone. 

=/\= 

In 2153, on April the sixteenth, Malcolm Reed was walking down the hall of the NX-01 with Tripp Tucker. “We got an interestin’ lunch today,” said Tucker, “We’re supposed to be meeting Chef’s new assistant, and the guy who’s gonna head up the MACO complement.” 

“I still don’t see why we require a complement of MACOs,” replied Malcolm, “I know I have everything well in hand.” 

“Have an open mind, all right? Have you looked at pictures?” 

“I have not,” Malcolm said, “Why the devil would I wish to look at this chap from the MACOs?” 

“I mean the assistant chef,” said Tucker, “she’s a blonde. I know you like that.” 

“Oh, perhaps I should.” He stopped for a moment and brought up the photographs on his PADD. First was Major Jay Hayes, who looked huge. Then the sous-chef, Charlotte Lilienne O’Day. Malcolm became unsteady on his feet. 

“You all right?” 

“Huh. Charlotte.” 

Charlotte?” asked Tucker. “Oh, yeah,” he looked over Malcolm’s shoulder. “But it says she prefers bein’ called Lili. You look like you’ve seen a ghost. She’s pale and all, but I dunno, talk to me, Reed.” 

Malcolm gazed at the picture of a middle-aged woman with extremely pale blonde hair and pale blue eyes that were almost white in appearance. “It feels like déjà vu.” 

“Well, get it together. We got that lunch in less than three minutes.” 

“Right, then.” 

He escorted Malcolm to the Observation Lounge for the lunch, a small break before going after the Xindi ultimate weapon.