Belonging

When I was 7, my heart belonged to a sweet young beauty
Hazel eyes that hid behind her chocolate curls, her radiant smile lightened my elementary days.
But her heart belonged to another, then another, and another. Mine never shifted from her, but hers never found mine.

When I was 13, my love belonged to a sweet lass
The windows to her soul were a bright emerald like my own, her golden braids tucked behind ears so beautifully. I could've done without the braces but hey, it was junior high.
Her love was not mine to hold however, because she loved me not, and left me for him. I was hurt, but time heals all.

When I was 17, my affection belonged to one who was secretive. Her beauty was unmatched and unknown to me, but I grew addicted to hearing her voice. She claimed to love me, and I loved her. So much so that it felt she was the gravity that kept my feet on this earth. She fled before I could see her face, and she's happy with a family of her own.

Now that I'm 20, my everything belongs to her. But her heart is in Missouri with her missionary, and I'm lost as to what to do. If not her, my heart can't take losing another belonging. The fate of my future rests in her hands, but it's not me she wants.

When your heart finds its belonging, when you find another belonging rests on your shoulders, cherish it, revel in it, not all have found their belonging.