Chapter 1: Royal Duties

(Brynn's POV)

    Just another day in Northern Washington. I slam my locker shut, and turn to see my best friend Ellie running down the hall. She stops abruptly to catch her breathe, "Here, take this." She hands me a milkweed pod. "What is this, Elena?" I ask. "Importance among the elves. The Elders are needing us, so we may be called out of school." She says. "Are they bonkers? I have a math final to take," I say freaking out. Suddenly, we hear "Would Brynn Underwood, and Jalen and Elena Franks please come to the office." Jalen comes running past us, and we head to the main office of our high school to see my father's squire Timothy. Timothy is a shmall among the lights, standing four foot three inches with peppered silver hair and golden eyes. But in his mortal form, he stands at the same height with the same hair color, but has blue eyes. "Please sign out, kids." says Timothy. We do, and walk out the front entrance of the school. We pile into my mom's average looking dark red mini van. My young brother Jack sends a toothless smile my way. I smile back, and take a seat. My mother looks my way with a look of grace within her bright blue eyes "Brynn, did Elena give you the pod?" "Yes, mother. Now, what is it for?" I ask. "It's a message from your father Brynn, please read it before we pass through into Elfland," she says. I untie the string, taking out the tattered page. It grows bigger within my hands. 'Dear,Iellig. Oh my how you've grown into the young woman with the beauty of your mother. The time has come for you to be crowned princess of the North, for you are the age of eighteen. Also, you are of age to find your Love. The night after your coronation you will host a dance to choose your Love. ~Gi melin, Papa.'

(Jalen's POV)

    Her half-blood beauty shines through every smile I share with her. We reach our destination of Rialto Beach. A beach covered in the mist from the ocean. Petrified wood is scattered across the dark grey sand. We park, and Sari uses her magic to shield the van and us from the eyes of normal mortals. Footstep by footstep, she walks towards the ocean. The waves part, and close around her. I snap my fingers shedding my mortal clothes, to show a smoky grey vest over a silk shirt with tight black pants. Hunter who met us at the beach presents himself wearing a regal blue and black silk vest with a black silk shirt underneath. My sister princess Elena is dressed in a velvet green gown with a hood. Her blue eyes are shaded by the hood, and he short blonde hair highlights her woodland tiara. Sari spins around to reveal a blue silk and velvet embroidered gown. Her long brown hair is tucked behind her mortal ears as a crown sparkles amongst the mist. We all turn, and she emerges from the ocean. Light tanned skin is glistening with water droplets, her blonde hair falls down her back in beach curls as she turns to present herself in a lacy flowing gown. "Brynn, you are the most beautiful girl ever." She walks forth to me, smiling in all her glory. "Sir Jalen, your collar." Her five foot seven inch frame is small. I tower over her standing tall at six foot two inches. She fixes my collar with a smile, which sends my skin crawling with the yearn of her touch. She is my Love, but I am not of rule to tell her. Light Elf Courtship rule number two, One prince may not tell his Love who be of royal blood that she is his Love for she is to find out.

    Timothy creates the realm entrance. "You may enter my queen," he says with a stout bow. Next is Elena and Brynn. Hunter and I are the last to cross through. We walk through the grand gates of North Malis the head kingdom of the Light Elves. Villagers bow as we walk the cobblestoned streets of the graceful land. We arrive at the grand doors of the Elder house. Queen Sari stays outside among the villagers greeting every elf-child with care. Young Jack chase a butterfly the flits and flutters through the sky. The Elders bow, and we tell them of our praise for them. We walk down the secret path leading to the grand castle of his Majesty King Luka leader of the Lights. The throne room is clad in gold, with silk banisters hanging down that tell the stories of our greats who are older than the elders. King Luka stands to acknowledge us. " Ah, my young ones. Welcome to North Malis Prince Hunter of the West , Prince Jalen and Princess Elena of the East, and my graceful daughter Princess Brynn of the North," he says addressing us. Brynn curtsies toward her father. "My dear father," she says.