4

"Do you like the sandwich?" asked Mom.

I looked at Mom then looked at him to see what he would say.

"Yeah! It is super good." He said staring at his sandwich trying to find where he would take his next bite.

I smiled because for one, I loved my sandwich too! And two, I was beginning to understand a little more about Even. Like the fact that he has no feelings other than sadness, bored, and a little happiness every once in awhile. And another thing, he is actually really fun to hangout with if you get to know him. But I then realized that I don't really know him, at all! I only knows that he can't climb ropes, he likes PBJ's, he likes to kick dirt, and that's pretty much it! I needed to know more about this kid.

"Did your mom or dad drive you to the park?" asked Mom.

Even looked down and said quietly, "My Mom dropped me off."

Mom stopped eating and stared at Even trying to chew. Mom then looked at me and then back at Even.

I couldn't believe that his Mom would drop him off and not stay to watch him and eat lunch with him.

"So it's just you?" Mom asked.

Even nodded and and took a bite of the sandwich. There was a long silence that broke when Even said "Yeah, but she will be back soon,"