3

Heaven wasn’t exactly what I thought it would be, infact it was nothing like I thought it would be. I always thought of heaven as more of a giant cloud, filled with singing angels and harps. That picture was far from accurate. The real heaven was ran like a well oiled machine and everyone knew their job and their place. The only angel in sight was what looked like a secretary except with wings.

“Follow me.” Rex said, motioning me towards him. We walked down a long hall with different rooms and pathways leading to other halls. We stopped in front of a large door labeled D4. Rex placed his finger onto a small glass plate on the door and the door swung open, I’m assuming this is his room.

“This is my ‘house’.” Rex began, “you have one also but we have to talk to Laprise about that.” He shook off his jacket and laid it across a chair before sprawling out on his bed. I stood awkwardly against the wall for a minute while Rex gave me an odd look.

“What?” I asked sharply.

“It’s weird that you aren’t showering me with questions.”

“Well I’m sorry that I just found out my mother is dead and I’m an angel so I don’t exactly want to talk. I just want to know who my father is and who I’m running from exactly.”

“I wanna know also, I have no clue who you’re running from. I wasn’t told much, actually I investigated myself. I came out fairly empty handed, all I know is someone named Marlene Fletcher was very close with your mom, she actually aided your mom before she died. She probably knows something, but she was stripped of her wings a long time ago so who knows where she is.”

I shook my head. “Stripped of her wings?”

“Well, as a punishment for certain crimes angels get their wings ripped off. In this process the angel becomes mortal. No powers, no nothing.”

“Is that what happened to my parents, well fake parents.”

“No, their wings just can’t be used until you're 18, it’s a spell I guess. I have no clue how it works.”

I took a seat on the edge of the bed and placed my head on the wall. I just wanted to sit in silence for a few moments. I felt as if this was all some large dream, a dream that I’d never escape. The tears began rolling down my cheeks again before I knew it. I could tell Rex wanted to reach out for me, but recoiled and left me to weep alone in silence. I never knew my birth mother but I was sure she was gorgeous, courageous and I was determined to know the truth. If she was an angel, why would someone want to kill her? How would they kill her?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“Is she alive?” I heard a new voice, followed by the sound of a hand meeting flesh.

“Of course she’s alive you dim-wit.” another odd voice.

“Ouch?” the other voice echoed.

I slowly opened my eyes to see two new faces, it startled me a bit but I had a long enough day that nothing else could exactly surprise me.

“Mornin’.” A girl smirked at me, for an angel she looked rather emo but in a graceful way. Her  hair covered one of her eyes that were filled with make up. She was dressed in all white, the look suited her well and she was actually very pretty. “I’m Gracie and this is my twin Grayson.” She jerked a perfectly pampered thumb nail at her brother. He was also blonde, except a darker, while her hair resembled an ice blonde his was darker and a little less threatening. They had the same eyes, deep blue.

“Hi I’m uh, Beth.” I searched the room for Rex but he was nowhere in sight.

“Oh Rex?” Grayson began as if reading my mind. “He went to the café to get you some food.”