--6--

Khalid fell to his knees and impaled his fingers into the snow, for the desire to move towards the music was becoming stronger, and the inability to do so was crushing his sanity. Gritting his teeth, he looked at them again. The other fairies, who had entered after the first- they had no wings- they however had the same pale features, unnaturally lengthened hands and pointed ears, he now discovered. Somewhat disappointed, his gaze flicked back to the winged female, who shone brilliantly in the moonlight, emitting a faint, blue glow. The hum of music grew soft as the congregation stopped singing, all except for the first fairy, whose voice grew louder and louder as she spun around the spikes till she almost screamed in a falsetto, and her breath gave way.

Chest heaving heavily, she raised a flawless arm, and snapped once. Immediately, the crowd parted and two male fairies, adorned in silvery robes came into sight. No, it was four of them- Khalid mentally corrected himself- and hoisted onto their shoulders was a palanquin of glass, draped with plush velvet. Following it came another, though this one was headed by a woman in blood-red robes. The latter was of inadequate stature to be of the same kind as these creatures, however, it was impossible to judge, given that her face was hidden by a veil as deep a colour as her dress. As she took her side by the winged fairy at the center, the palanquins were placed on the earth.