X

Kieara reached her house, exhausted both mentally and physically. She knew that the decision that Riley made was not easy, yet she didn't understand how Riley was going to live now.

She said bye to Will and made her way inside the building, avoiding the eyes of people. She wasn't in the mood of getting recognized and getting in trouble with her father. Which she knew would happen, if any of her nosy neighbors saw her getting out of a car with a boy.

"Where were you?"
'Oops, spoke too soon,' she thought to herself as she met the angry eyes of her father. She wanted to reply with something witty but knew she shouldn't unless she wanted to dig a deeper hole for herself.

"Out, I thought I told that I went to a friend's house?" She asked her father, hoping to get out of this easy.

"Yes, you did. However, that doesn't mean that you can stay out for so long. You should have told us if it was going to be this late!" Her father reprimanded her.

"How in the world was I supposed to inform you? You took away my phone just yesterday! And the one you gave me instead switched off about 20 minutes after I left." She retaliated. "Also before you ask I was with Riley, and I got late because they had a family emergency and they had to leave urgently. I was helping them out," she lied smoothly.

Technically, it wasn't a lie. Riley did have an emergency and had to leave and Kieara did switch off her phone and turned it back on only when she had to contact Issac.

Her father went silent after that one. He knew that what she said was right, and despite wanting to punish her, he knew he couldn't do it without a just reason. So he did what was logical and let her pass although a bit reluctantly.

Once inside, Kieara rushed to her room and locked herself in. She crashed on her bed and thought.

She simply thought about what had happened through the day. Her mind becoming numb with her thoughts. Her mind drifted from one topic to another, from one scene to another. But she couldn't pinpoint her emotions. She was confused about her feelings for Will and Issac, she was worried about her friend, she was tired of her parents, she was unsure about Noah.

All of these scattered thoughts made her wish for a sort of numbness. Her drifting thoughts took her to comforting memory. The memory of a blade against her skin. Her skin started tingling as she craved for that feeling one more time. Almost giving in to the annoying yet persistent voice in her head which lured her towards the comfort she sought.

Making her way to the cabinet, Kieara found the blade she hid long ago, in the hopes that she will never have to use it again.

She stared at it for a long time. Not exactly knowing what to do with it. She could either give in to the temptation and price herself weak, or she could resist and rise up above all her demons and finally put them to sleep.

Her thoughts clashed against each other. Confusing her more than before as she looked at the only release of her misery. At that moment, for some unknown reason, she thought of all the characters of books that Riley had ever mentioned to her.

She remembered that Riley once said to her that in this world there are winners or fighters or failures. There are only survivors. This was something that all of the fictional characters had proved. Harry Potter could have given up when he faced his first obstacle. Percy Jackson could have given up when he lost his memories or fell into Tartarus. Tris could have given up when she found that she was different. But the thing is they didn't. So why should Kieara give up? Yes, she had faced difficult situations, but none of them were as difficult as the problems they faced.

With that in mind, Kieara found her answer and threw away the blade and walked out of the room. Not looking back on regret as she was satisfied with her choice and finally achieved the internal peace she craved for.

***

Will was slammed against the wall by his angry best friend as soon as he got home.

"WHERE IS SHE WILL? WHERE IS SHE?" Asked a very angry Noah.

"Noah calm down," Will tried to placate his friend, but he was having none of it. Instead of calming down, he seemed to have gotten angrier, if that was possible.

Noah knew that Will would never hurt her and that she would never cheat on him, but that didn't help him at all. He was worried about Riley, the only girl he cared about. No, it was not because he was hurt before by a girl, but merely because he never bothered to pay attention to them. But when he did, he didn't regret it at all.

She taught him what really matters in life and as cheesy as it sounds, she loved him for who he truly was. That is until she decided to run away. He dropped Will on the ground. Not caring that he hurt him in the slightest. He wanted his girl and he will get her back. Even if it takes his life.

By the end of the month, Riley was going to be back in his arms and not even the devil could stop him.