Chapter 1

Aelin awoke to the steady rhythm of wheels on concrete. Well really, she jolted awake from a nightmare, where she had been trapped in a prison wagon. She opened her eyes, momentarily forgetting where she was. She looked around, expecting to see the white walls and the upholstered bed of her bedroom in Rifthold. Instead she saw the black leather seat of the Uber car she was Riding in.

"Time to go Miss." The cab driver said.

"Thank you" Aelin said, climbing out of the car.

She grabbed her bags and payed the driver. As she turned around, she saw the beautiful white walls of the college towering around her. The campus was huge! It almost looked like a castle. As she walked in, she half expected to see bustling servants. But no, she saw students walking down the halls, or talking to each other. She followed the signs to the principals office. 

She had expected a stocky balding man, but was surprised(and not pleasantly) when she walked into the office. The principal was a dark haired, brown eyed man, probably in his late 40's. He was intimidatingly tall, even in his seat. The name tag on his desk said Principal Havilliard.  Aelin felt like she wasn't even allowed to look him in the eye.

"You're Aelin, right?" Even his voice was rough.

Aelin noticed a mini sword on the desk. In the hilt, she saw, it was engraved Nothung. For some reason it really unnerved her.

"Yes" She she said meekly.

"Good. Mr. Westfall will show you around." 

Aelin turned toward the door. She walked outside the office, realizing she hadn't asked who exactly "Mr. Westfall" was. She turned around sharply, as a gruff voice behind her said-

"Are you Aelin?"

She turned around, seeing a hazel eyed dark haired boy behind her. 

 "Yes? Who are you?" She asked him

"I'm Chaol" He said awkwardly running his hands through his hair.

"Ummm... do you know where I can find Mr. Westfall? I think he's the person who helps students get to know the campus..." 

Aelin realized she also sounded super awkward. And that she had taken a wild guess, si if she was wrong...

"Well, you see..." Chaol said sharply, interrupting her train of thought"I'm Mr. Westfall. Unless your looking for my father. But hes away in Anielle, so this would not be the right place"

How awkward. Aelin almost cringed. And as Chaol took her away, she decided that she was never going to go back to that office. Ever.

* * *

"Here is your room. Or, as far that I can take you to your room. Boys are't aloud in girls dorms. And vice versa." Chaol started down the hallway."Oh. two doors down on your left" he said, and disappeared around a corner

Aelin threw her hands up in distaste. Not even a goodbye!? rude. She walked down the few steps down to her dorm room. Number 371. Before she could even touch the doorknob, it was opened by a beautiful dark skinned woman. Well, she was the same age as Aelin, but she just had this regal air around her. Her dark hair was done in millions of tiny braids, each one ended with a sparkly gold bead. Her eyes were a dark chestnut color that matched her hair, and she wore a beautiful golden circlet with a blue stone in the middle. Even before Aelin heard her accent, she knew that this woman-girl was a foreign exchange student. 

"Hello, I am Nehemia. Are you the  new roommate?" Her accent was rich and culture. She must have come from Eyllwe 

"Yes. I'm Aelin"

"Nice to meet." 

"Thank you"

Nehemia waved her forward and led her into the space. 

"This is your room." Nehemia pointed to the door on the left. "that once is mine"

"One..." Aelin shyly corrected.

"It's ok. I'm here to learn the language Adarlan." Nehemia told her.

"I can help you" Aelin smiled when she spoke this in Eyllwe "You're from Eyllwe, right?"

"Yes. Thank you for noticing." 

Aelin nodded. 

"I'm exhausted. I think I'll excuse myself to bed. I want to take a nap before dinner." She said, switching back to the common room.

Aelin dragged her luggage into her room, and collapsed on the bed. But right before she fell asleep, she smiled to herself, thinking, that today had not been such a bad day after all.