sixth year

On 1 August, 1997, Luna and her father attended the wedding of Bill Weasley andFleur Delacour at the Burrow. Luna was able to recognise Harry Potter, who was disguised as a Weasley cousin by use of Polyjuice Potion, by only his expression. She wore yellow robes, at her father's insistence, and had a sunflower in her hair. Her father believed that wearing sun colours to weddings brought luck. Luna sat at the same table as Harry, Hermione, and Ron. At one point, while under the influence of gnome saliva, Luna started dancing by herself, twirling on the dance floor with her arms raised, which drew attention from a few onlookers.

Death Eaters conduct a raid on the Hogwarts Express in an attempt to capture Harry Potter

That day, the Ministry of Magic was taken over by Voldemort, so it was to a Death Eater-controlled Hogwarts that Luna returned for her sixth year. On 1 September, Death Eaters boarded the train in search of Harry Potter, but were unsuccessful in capturing him because he wasn't on board. Severus Snapehad also been appointed headmaster and Death Eaters Alecto and Amycus Carrowprofessors. Early in the year, Luna, Ginny, andNeville attempted to steal the Sword of Gryffindor from the Headmaster's office, in an effort to help Harry. Snape caught them and sent them into the Forbidden Forest withRubeus Hagrid as punishment. The three of them revived and led Dumbledore's Army, which tried to sabotage the Death Eaters' control of the school and to help Harry, Ron and Hermione — who were off hunting down Voldemort's Horcruxes — in any way they could.

On her way home over the Christmas holidays, Death Eaters captured Luna because her father had been printing stories in support of Harry.