Chapter 4 - Injured

The week passed easily, studying for end-of-year exams and training for Saturday. I swam each day, transforming first to replenish myself, then returning back to my human form and giving my legs a workout. The sports day was fast approaching, but sadly Mum and Dad couldn't make it to the sports day either. I hadn't spent much time around Tabby, claiming to be working hard on my studies. I also did my best to avoid Brad, but I said hello each day before walking home. I could tell Brad was a little suspicious, which made my chest ache. I had to be extra careful.
On sports day I had everything ready, a small bottle of seawater in my bag as well as a large water bottle, and had been for a long swim. Dad dropped me off at school, wishing me good luck, and I hurried to put my bag away, putting on deodorant, tying my hair back. I headed back outside with my large water bottle in hand, and walked slowly towards the stands.
"Cassi!" I heard, recognising Tabby's voice. I plastered a smile on my face and turned around, my plait swaying as I did so, and saw Tabby and Brad heading my way.
"Hey Tabby, hello Brad." I said to them. Tabby beamed at me, but Brad looked calculated.
All ready?" Brad asked. I nodded.
"Mhm. I just have to warm up." I said, eager to get away, though my heats were much later. Brad smiled.
"Awesome. I'm sure you'll knock their socks off." Brad said.
"I hope not, they'd be rather smelly." I quipped, and he laughed. I moved to turn away from them when Brad grasped my arm gently. I jerked free without thinking, looking up at him. I could see the look of surprise on his face.
"Sorry. I'm a little jumpy." I said. He watched me.
"We're having a barbecue after the last heat if you want to come along. We bought veggie patties for you." He said. I hesitated. Before the previous weekend I would've jumped at the chance, but I felt a little on edge. I wanted to decline the invitation, but I knew that would be suspicious. I noticed both Brad and Tabby watching me - Tabby looked eager, but Brad had a strange look in his eye. I wondered if he was daring me to decline. I smiled.
"It sounds great. I'll get Dad to pick me up afterwards." I replied.
"We could easily take you home after." Brad said. I shook my head.
"I couldn't take you away from your guests. I can call Dad later." I said.
"That is very considerate of you." Brad said. I smiled and turned on my heel, heading away, keeping my head up. I could feel Brad watching me, and I fought back a shiver as I kept walking, heading to the warm-up section.

Brad watched her go, his suspicions niggling at his mind. She was definitely on edge with him, something she shouldn't be unless she had something to hide. Tabby had moved over to Cassi, and Brad took a seat at the side of the track, a perfect vantage point to see everything.

Tabbi and I warmed up, smiling and chatting, when the whistle blew. We moved over to the boys and girls of our age-group, standing with the other Hampton House students, clad in red shirts and black shorts. I also wore red socks and black runners, my hair tied back in a plait that was interwoven with red ribbons. We all sang the school song, then the teams separated, and we prepared to cheer on our fellow Housemates.
I participated in a few field events just for the fun of it, laughing when we bungled it up. The day progressed, and I pulled out my second bottle, which contained some seawater. I sipped some down, feeling refreshed.
"Year 12 200 metre sprint, on the starting line." I heard over the loudspeaker, looked at Tabby with a grin, and hurried over to the starting line. We were placed in our lanes, then set our feet on the starter blocks, ready to race. I heard someone yell; "on your marks", and poised myself. The pistol went off, and I pushed off, lucky to make it off quickly. The crowd yelled an cheered us on, and I smiled as the wind hit my face. Sadly though, as I ran, I failed to notice a slight uneven bit of the track to the side, though I'd run the outside lane many times before, and my foot caught the side of the track, causing my ankle to twist painfully and I fell to the ground, hearing a loud crack as I tumbled a few times. I heard screams from the stands, shouts as people came running over. I was holding my ankle, my face twisted in pain, my hands feeling the warm sticky blood over my skin. I looked down to see bone sticking out of my skin, and I yelped in shock. Brad reached me first, and I quickly covered the bone so he wouldn't see. Someone handed me a towel, and I pressed it against my ankle, looking up to see Brad watching me intently. He picked me up and carried me to the First Aid tent, people moving to get out of the way.
"You'll be fine, an ambulance has been called." Brad said. I felt panic intermingle with the pain, knowing I couldn't go to any hospital. I was placed gently down on the table in the tent, and as they got things together I pushed the bone back inside the skin, making me bite my lip at the pain, but the skin mended, the bone melting back together. I wiped my hands on the towel, then moved it aside after wiping away any residual blood. The nurse came over at that point, and inspected my ankle. I cried out at the spots I figured should hurt if an ankle was sprained.
"There was so much blood, but I can't find a wound." The nurse said. "It seems to be tender though, probably a nasty sprain."
"I heard a distinct break, I could swear I saw the bone." Brad said without thinking, then looked at me. I did my best to meet his gaze, showing I was still in pain. The nurse started asking me questions, and I answered them as best I could. Whilst I was doing so Brad took the towel and put it into a bag, taking care not to touch the blood, and put the bag into his pocket.
"I am baffled. Does it hurt now?" The nurse asked. It didn't anymore, but I couldn't say that.
"Yes." I said. The ambulance had arrived, but left once they realised they weren't needed.
"Can you call my parents? I just want to go home." I said. Tabby had entered by now, and came over to me.
"Are you okay?" She asked as the nurse called my Dad's work number.
"I will be. I just sprained my ankle." I said, getting a clean towel and wrapping it around my ankle quickly so no one would see that there was no bruising or swelling. I looked around for the bloodied one, but I couldn't see it anywhere. I had a fleeting moment of worry about that, then was taken by surprise as Tabby hugged me. I knew she was worried. I was someone that never got sick, or hurt, so any indication of pain was horrific to all.
"A sprain?" Brad asked. I nodded.
"The ambulance guy said that it was." I said. Dad arrived a few minutes later, and the nurse made sure the makeshift bandage towel was secure around my ankle. Dad hurried over to me.
"What happened?" Dad asked.
"I was running and tripped on uneven track, and sprained my ankle." I said hurriedly. Dad looked at me quickly.
"Can you walk?" He asked. I nodded.
"I'll need your help though." I replied. He picked me up and set me down gently on my feet. I immediately lifted my right foot off the ground, gasping as though in intense pain. He then moved to my right side.
"Let's get you home." Dad said. He then looked around at Brad.
"Thank you for looking after her. She'll be fine now." Dad added. Brad offered his hand, which Dad took firmly and shook it, but I had to bite back another gasp. I saw a few drops of blood on Brad's hand, but before I could do anything else, Dad was guiding me out of the tent and towards the car. I felt light-headed suddenly, but managed to pick up my bag with my two bottles of water, holding it in my left hand, and leaned against Dad. He picked me up and carried me to the car, watched by everyone. I closed my eyes as he carried me, not moving until I felt Dad fumble for the keys then open the passenger door.
"Feel better soon, Cassi." Brad said, patting my arm as Dad adjusted the seat belt, and I looked up at him, not saying a word. Dad closed the car door and moved around to the drivers' door, got in, and we drove off. I didn't look back, nor did I say anything, trembling. Once we got home I walked inside, though Dad stayed close. I went up to my room, grabbed my robe, and headed for the bathroom.
"Are you going to tell me what happened?" Dad called up the stairs. I stood in the entrance to the bathroom, thinking a moment, then sighed.
"When Mum gets home. Easier than repeating myself." I replied. I could almost see Dad slump.
"All right. I'll be in my study." Dad said. I turned the shower on and undressed, putting my clothes in the hamper, the towel as well, and stepped under the warm water.