Prologue

I'M SICK

Normani Kordei  17yrs old

"I'm sick baby." Those words struck me harder than ever, when my mom told me that. She said they couldn't stop it, they found it late. I didn't get to ask what it was that made her like this. She was fragile and couldn't do much. The first time I heard that was when I was four or five. She got through and seen me grow up all the way to high-school.

Now hearing it again after all those years, it didn't phase me. My mom was a fighter she was gonna pull through. I just knew it. Then it happen.

I came home from shopping, we were a wealthy family my parents made sure of that, I never have to work or get my nails dirty. I had people wait on me hand and foot. My mom was humble though. My dad, not so much.
So, when my mom got sick he was worse than me. She always kept him in line. She did for all of us. She was my backbone.

That day I got home it was like any other day. The house was quiet as usual. I saw cars but I thought it was just you know a little dinner party. I knew that wasn't the case though. Sometimes things you see, you don't want to believe. That day is when it really hit. I just knew that was the day my mom left, when I saw my grandma and older brother.

I was wrong though. It wasn't my mom. That day my mom was in the living room surrounding by family and other people I didn't know.

"Mother what's going on?" I asked
She looked up. Her eyes were watery and she looked like she didn't get any sleep.

"Hey sweetheart, come sit." "No, I rather stand. What's going on grandma, Trevor what are you guys doing here?" I ask.
They just looked down, like I wasn't talking. "It's Derek baby." I hear my aunt say. My head shoots to her.

"What happen, to him. He's overseas right?" I hear someone sob. "He died sweetie." My mom finally speaks. "What?" My voice cracked. "He was going back to hotel after a meeting and someone, shot him." I stumble back, but my brother catches me. I couldn't believe it. This whole time we always had to be strong for mom, not knowing my dad was going to be killed.

"That's not all sweetie." What could be worse. I don't like to cry in front of people so I quickly shed my two tears and then looked at my mother.

"What else?" I sit up and clear my throat. "As you know I'm sick." I nod my head and grab her hand, encouraging her to go on. "Well it has advanced. I don't have long." "But they said that last time. We'll get through this. Right? Your a fighter mom." I knew there wasn't much I could do. I was gonna try.

"I know I am, but I'm tired sweetie. I can't fight anymore. Especially with your dad gone. I can't take care of both of us." Wait what?

"Mom I'm seventeen, I'll be alright. I can take care of--" "I know that, but your underage. By law you have to stay with a guardian that's why granny is gonna take you." No, no. "Mom stop, your not gone. Your still here mom." At this point I just let the tears fall.

We both knew, there was nothing left for me or her to fight for.

She just shook her head. She kissed my head and got up. "I've made peace with it and so should you." After that, she walked away.

The week after my dad's death, Andrea Hamilton passed away.

I lost my parents all in the same month and that's how I ended up packing my life and moving to Texas with my grandma.

All I can do at this point is just pray, that better days will come.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Dinah G!p or no G!p