Chapter Two The Games Are Born

My country, Panem, is corrupt with the suffering being laughed upon. We are ruled by the ever powerful President Snow. He is the overseer of Panem. My country, Panem, is split up into different sections called districts. There were thirteen districts and then the Capitol, but then war wiped a district right off the map. The war happened many, many years ago way before I was even born. It was a war between the district rebels and the Capitol. The districts have been mistreated since the day they were created and one day the people of all the districts decided to change that. They had a small chance, but, not surprisingly, lost in the war against the Capitol. District 13 paid the worst price of the war. The Capitol bombed District 13 until there wasn't even a single blade of grass left let alone a living person, leaving only twelve districts plus the Capitol left. Ever since then life in the districts has been even more oppressive and The Hunger Games were born.

        Every year the Capitol hosts The Hunger Games which are to remind the citizens living in the districts that we had lost the war so many years ago and remember that trying such a silly things again would be such a stupid act to do on our behalf. The Hunger Games are also to warn us that the Capitol is powerful and that they can take what we love away from us at any moment. To demonstrate that second reason to The Hunger Games the Capitol holds a reaping. On Reaping Day two kids called tributes are chosen from each district, one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve to eighteen, their names will be chosen at random out of a glass bowl. They will then be taken to the Capitol were they will be paraded around like the Capitol's dolls. There will be interviews, but most importantly there will be training. Trained in the art of survival and killing. That is what the games are all about after all, killing for the pure entertainment of the Capitol citizens.

        Twenty-four tributes go into an arena the Capitol designs and have them fight to the death. The games are televised throughout all of Panem. The citizens living in the Capitol watch the games for their entertainment while the citizens living in the district are forced to watch in horror. Only one tribute may remain standing and be crowned victor. How sick is that? Watching kids that maybe you grew up with or are even related to slaughter other kids or even be slaughtered.

        What do you get if you win? If you are crowned victor you win so much money you couldn't possibly spend it all before you died. You get a fancy new house in a newer part of your district called Victor's Village. The winners become rich basically while everyone else in every district across Panem starve and struggle to survive because the Capital doesn't care about us nor will they ever. They never did to begin with. There is one good thing about becoming a victor though. The whole district that the victor is from will be parachuted food a few once a month for a whole year. That's the best part of becoming a victor.

        There is a catch to all this though. Districts 1, 2, and 4 have facilities where kids can train their whole lives to be in The Hunger Games. That's what they live for. They live for the chance of getting the fame, money, and house that comes with being a victor. They don't care about the parachuted food; they only care about the riches. We call these kids careers. They train until they are eighteen then when Reaping Day comes around they volunteer to go into the games. Once at the Capitol the careers will meet up with all of the other careers from Districts 1, 2, and 4. They'll form a group called the Career Pack and hunt down the other kids together in the arena. They hardly ever let any other tribute into their pack and a career almost always wins the games. 

        It's funny. They say there will be a victor, but really there never are. You could win the games, but really you've lost as well because no person comes out of the games as the same person they were coming in. You've lost yourself and there is no getting it back! You either die physically, mentally, or spiritually. You become a hollow ghost of what you once were, but your soul has been shattered.

        I speak from experience. I was a career from District 2 and won to be crowned victor. My name is Enobaria and this is the story of my Hunger Games.