Redeem Me

I always thought that one day I would be able to help somebody. To redeem myself and get rid of this everlasting guilt. But, it did not turn out the way I expected.

I was mining my own business on Friday night. Walking down the street to my house when I saw this starved little boy. He needed food badly so I unlocked my door and carried him in the house.

I microwaved him some rice in a bowl. He told me his name. His name was Advik. He told me that I saved him. The microwave went off and I gave him the food. He ate it down fast. He told me he was full. So I went to the bathroom and ran him a bath.

He was a good child. He reminded me of a child I've never had. I want to help Advik out as much as I can.

After I made him clean himself up we watched TV. We were laughing and joking kind of like father and son. Advik told me thank you. Words I'll keep into my heart forever.

We fell asleep on the couch. When I woke up the next morning he was gone. I thought as though he went away. But after a day or two. I came to conclusion that he got kidnapped. So I went out to find him on Sunday night.

I was walking down an alley when I spotted him with this group of kids who were viciously beating him. I stepped into the light and the other kids started to run. Advik told me thanks for saving me.

This kid reminds me of myself when I was younger. Maybe that is why I wanted to save him. We walked to my home and did our regular routine. The kid asked me a question.

He asked, " Dad, can I have food please." I was startled because he called me dad.

"Son, I would love too." I told him. He started too smile.

" I love you dad." He told me. I kept those words into the center of the heart, my decision was made, I would help this kid at all cost. I gave him the food and we went to sleep.

The next morning he was gone again. So I went to search for him, he was with those kids again by the edge of a cliff. Right next to a deadly river. Those kids cornered him. I intervened knowing what would happened. Right when he was about to fall, I pushed him upwards and told him to run to the house next to mine as I fell over the cliff.

You see, I told you I would've done anything for that little boy. Even take my own life. He was special and now I know why. That little boy was actually my long lost son.

He lives in my house now, 16 years old and is happy. He has real friends. He hasn't forgotten about me at all. That is exactly how I would want to be remembered. This guilt I had was gone. He gave me another chance and I would gladly do it again.
------
How was it?