Chapter 14

'Vance' and 'Bella' had had a costume change. They were now dressed in assassins' uniforms, with knives against Phil and Melanie's throats. 

"Mel! Phil!" Heather yelled, her eyes widening.

Out from behind the captives came the master and mistress themselves, Frank and Gretta.

One born with no power.

One born with the ability to FEEL power.

"Now," Frank smirked, "come with us, Heather. Then no one will get hurt."

"Not gonna' happen!" Finn growled protectively, stepping in front of her. "She ain't goin' anywhere!"

Heather felt touched. There was no way she would join them but-

"Mel..." she said softly, "it's going to be okay, we'll get through this."

"Come with us and these two-" Frank gestured to Phil and Melanie- "will live."

"Oh, and by the way," Gretta added, sneering, "don't try using your magic. It won't work."

We'll see about that, Heather thought to herself.

Despite knowing that she could use her magic, Heather decided to do this the old-fashioned way. She tucked her wings behind her back and stepped in front of Finn.

"I'll come with you." 

"WHAT!?" Finn shrieked, grabbing hold of her arm. "No! DON'T DO THIS TO US!!"

"No," Melanie choked out. "The wolf's right. Don't do it. I'm not worth it."

"I'll come with you," Heather repeated. "I'll come."

She shook Finn off and walked toward her aunt and uncle.

"Release them," Frank ordered. Melanie and Phil were let free. The binds fell from Phil's wings and he leapt over to Finn before facing them again, fangs bared. Melanie stumbled forward as the ropes went limp. A thin line of blood slowly trickled down her neck.

"Thank you," Gretta nodded. "We will leave now." But before she could say another word, Heather's fist came flying at her face. She made contact with her temple, making an unpleasant crack! 

Frank barely had time to step forward before Melanie jumped on top of him and they fell to the ground. She kicked out with her leg, hitting him square in the jaw.

Heather then heard two more loud cracks and turned to see Phil and Finn standing over the unconscious bodies of the servants and assassins.

"Nice work," Heather grinned, and they all hi-fived each other, even Phil.

"Who's this?" Melanie asked Heather, gesturing to Phil.

"I'm Phil," the dragon answered. "And you are?"

"Melanie!" Mel replied, shaking Phil's claw awkwardly.

"Nice to meet you, Marlany!" Phil pronounced Melanie's name in a broad Hyswæn accent.

"What are we gonna' do with these four?" 

"What happened to your accent?" Heather muttered under her breath, but they didn't notice.

"I have a perfect idea!" Phil licked his lips and Heather shuddered slightly.

* * *

"We what?!" Heather and Melanie yelled in unison.

"It makes perfect sense to me," Finn said coolly. "We wake them up and then use magic - that's your part, Heather - to make them think they are something that they are not. Like a... Ummm..."

"Toasb?" Phil suggested. They all looked at him, confused. "A toasb is a large bird-like creature with human traits. They can speak too. Most of them are not very self-confident and are often depressed," he explained.

"Okaaaaay..." Heather said. "Shall we do it now?"

"I don't see why not!" Finn exclaimed.

"Yes!" Mel pumped the air enthusiastically. "LET'S TURN THESE SONS OF A-" Mel paused here- "INTO TOADS!" 

"Maybe that's a little too far," Heather shivered. "And it's toasbs, not toads." She shook her head, dismissing the topic. "Okay, are you ready?" She stood in front of them and began the spell. 

"Gretta, Frank, Vachna and Banghr, when you wake you will no longer think that you are human. Instead, you will think that you are toasbs - which is just sad. AND... when you wake you will think one another is a unicorn!"

Heather hesitated, glancing nervously at her friends. Finn nodded affirmatively, Phil's wings fluttered impatiently and Melanie rolled her eyes.

"Ummm... Awake now...?"