Just Believe - Ch 1

Chapter 1

                2 years ago…

                I was awakened by the extreme coldness coming from the window. The light emitting outside started to give me chills onto my spine. It was winter – my ever least favorite season of the year in which I couldn’t go and hang out with my friend especially with my best pal – Callum. I tried to sit up and reach for my phone just lying on the table near my bed. Still sleepy, I slowly opened my eyelids and took a peek on the phone whether there was a message or something. Just as I expected, no one did miss me. Irritated, I threw my phone back on the table and scratched my messy hair. Then I suddenly heard a small beep. Surprised, I jumped out of my bed and hurriedly took my phone.

                My phone says ‘Callum’. Yeah right, it was just my bestfriend. The usual. He’s the only one missing me as always. I opened the message and read. “Hey, Edith. Let’s go out today.”

                I frowned and started to type a reply for him. “Duh, Lum. It’s winter and you want to go out?! Are you crazy?”

                After sending, I received an immediate reply in a few seconds. “I’m already outside your house. I’ve been pressing the doorbell for about 10 times already. Nobody’s answering. Hah!”

                I hurriedly ran to the door and opened it, then I saw Callum. “Good day! Finally, can I come in? How’s your morning?” Callum said. He entered and sat on the sofa.

                “As usual, sleepy!” I answered him with a yawn then tilted my head to his shoulder.

                “I’m quite sure of that. Anyway, what if we play a game? Zathura? Monopoly? Snake and Ladders!” He shouted.

                I stood up and didn’t bother listening to him. I went to the kitchen, opened the fridge and took the pitcher of milk. He followed me and noticed that I’m kinda sad. He accompanied me drinking the milk with his own glass.

                “Hey, Edith. Are you fine? You seem to be sad. What’s the problem, girl? Tell me! Tell me!” He pleaded with his puppy dog eyes popping in front of me.

                “Why should I? And what are you talking about? What problem?” I raised an eyebrow at him.

                “I’m your bestfriend, your hero and your savior, so tell me.” He’s still pleading.

                “Nah. Alright!” I gave up.

                “But don’t say anything. Until I’m finished.” I continued.

                After telling him a rumor about my parents having a divorce, the door bell rang. And there I saw my parents. This was the time I glared at him telling ‘Shut your mouth’.

                “It’s just that, I just want to say that…my parents will come. And they’ll be here for the whole year.” I lied.

                “Oh, I see.” He smirked.

                After that, I became a bit curious. I pulled Callum outside while my parents went upstairs.

                “Hey, why did you pull me? Don’t rape me, please.” He said.

                I rolled my eyes and said. “Stop fooling around. I’m just wondering why my parents would come and visit. I thought they were busy working in California. They didn’t even text nor call me. I’m feeling nervous about this.”