Chapter Three

"Freddy?" I gawk at him as he drops his bag of chicken.

He stammers, "Vel-Velma? What are you doing- I mean, you're alive-? I-I."

"Do you know where everyone else is? The rest of the gang?" I clench my fist.

"Well, Shaggy went rogue-"

"I know." I interrupt as I glare at the ground.

Freddy blushes, "Sorry. I didn't mean to-"

"What happened to Daphne? And scooby?"

"Dead, both dead... Scooby was left behind by Shaggy. Daphne... I can't talk about..." Freddy trails off. A man to his left took the other register and the people behind me scattered over there. When I gave him a puzzled look he shrugs, "She, she was bitten, back in the Cold Days. Turned right in front of my eyes," he sighs, "I miss her... I'm sure you don't care."

"You're shitting me right now. Just because we had some petty fight before all this shit, does not mean I won't be sad over her death," I slam my fist on the counter, "You obviously don't know me that well, then."

"I know that when her mom died of leukemia you didn't so much as go to the funeral so why would you care about her death?" Freddy snapped at me. "Your little fight broke up the gang! Your little fight changed Shaggy and I for the worse. We could never hang out in the sunlight because you two would've been fighting the whole time. The crime in Coolsville also went up after our gang broke up. It's not like Daphne and I could solve anything without you. She even admitted to that."

This caught me off guard, "She-she said what?"

Freddy narrows his eyes, "She said she couldn't solve a mystery without you."

I choke on my words, "Did she really? You aren't just spewing shit are you?" He nods, "I can't believe... I mean... That's why we... I thought I wasn't important..."

"Vel," Freddy grabs my shoulder, "You've been important to all of us... Listen, I have to get back to work," I glance at the man behind me who glares at Freddy, "But know this, as many times as she said it, Daphne never hated you. She was just jealous. She would kill me if she were here, but I could see the look in her eyes when you figured out the all the mysteries. Heck, even I've been jealous of you. Vel, she missed you too. And I know she'd be saying that now if she were here. Well I have to go... I'm sorry, and I'll talk to you later. Do you need something, though?" I couldn't speak... I only could whisper what I wanted. He smiled as he gave it to me, reached into his pocket and put down ten Pelz, "It's okay, I'll pay for you."

"Freddy, that's sweet, but-"

"Don't worry about it," he smirked once again. After a quick hug, I made my way back to the house. I finally waltzed into the doors bringing the groceries with me. I greeted Terry who was sitting at the table staring out at the view with her fingers crossed. Her auburn hair hides her face. I assume she's just taking in the sunset, but when I look closer I see something in her hand. Paying no mind to it, I put the groceries on the counter and start cutting up the lettuce to make a salad, and I heat up the electric stove while putting beans in the pot. I put out plates and laid the lettuce down on them. I made sure to keep the lettuce first and beans second. We had a couple of old tortilla chips that I crush and sprinkle on the salads. I take the beans and pour them on top. Next, I wash out the bean pot and keep it on the stove with cinnamon and peaches inside. We'll eat that for desert. Wow. Desert. Even the simplest things are luxuries.

I grab the salads and sit one in front of Terry, who hasn't moved this whole time. Something must be wrong.

"Terry? You okay?" I grab two plastic forks and place one by her hand, and she still doesn't react or say something, "If you need to, you can tell me anything."