//Chapter 6//

"Don't trust just anyone. The Devil was an Angel too."

➳ ➳ ➳

I can feel the anxiety building up inside of me for each second that passes by without his answer. He looks deep into his thoughts as his green eyes studied me. You can tell he is confused, but I don't blame him. Doing what I was asking of him wasn't easy. Alexander is a powerful man, and it doesn't take much to figure it out. No one has ever dared to go against him, so why would Mr. Snow be the one to do it now; for me? It almost seems hard to believe. What am I saying? I feel stupid for my high hopes.

Of course, he'll say no.

"So?" I urge him to speak, looking down at my hands tremble. I offered my hand for him to shake, but he simply narrowed his eyes at me.

"We have a deal, Miss Starr." He said with his deep, raspy voice and took my hand, confirming our deal. I half smiled at him and let my arm fall on my side, waiting for him to say something.

"I'll be expecting you tomorrow in my studio, but since you don't know where that's at, I will send Agnes to bring you to me. Until then, I want you in your room. You are not to wander around this house." He said sternly, and I nodded my head, not objecting or saying anything else. I was happy that he had agreed to what I said, and I don't want to do anything to mess it up.

"Can I leave now?" I asked with a cheeky grin and exaggerated my voice to a higher pitch.

"Yes, you may go, Miss Starr." He said smirking. He opened the door and returned to his desk to sit in his leather chair. I kept quiet and left his office, closing the door behind me. I leaned on the opposite side of the door and slid down to the ground. I let out a sigh of relief and rubbed my temples. I still couldn't believe how I managed to survive this. I was surprised with myself. I would never take any chance to speak that way to Alexander. But with Nick, I did.

A smile spread on my face until I realize I have been sitting outside his office door longer than I should have. It's just crazy. In four months, I will be free again.

No more Alexander.

I pushed myself up and away from the door and went to the living room where Agnes was cleaning away the dust with feathers.

"Hello, Agnes," I said cheerfully to match my mood. Her smile quickly disappeared and then narrowed her eyes at me.

"Why so happy all of a sudden?" Agnes asked, approaching me with a curious look on her face.

"I have my reasons." I didn't mean to sound rude, but honestly, I'm too satisfied to care about anything.

"So, I guess your meeting with Mr. Snow went well?" She asked, and I sat on the couch, patting the empty cushion next to me, inviting her to sit with me.

"Yes, it actually did," I said, and she nodded. Her facial expression looked skeptical and unpleased. I don't understand why she acted this way.

What's her problem?

"Tell me," I demanded, and she looked at me with her widened, brown eyes and shaking her head.

"It's nothing." She replied, faking a smile, and I frowned.

"Okay, tell me if it concerns me. That way, I have a right to know." I told her, putting my hand on her shoulder to encourage her.

"To be honest, I'm worried." She confessed, and I tried to keep a straight face. Inside I knew I was a bit spooked.

"What for?"

"I'm sure you know, but you have to be careful when it comes to Mr. Snow. I have known that boy since he was born. I worked for his parents before, and I saw him changing as he grew up. You might find this funny, me warning you about someone whom I consider to be a son, but I feel it's the right thing to do," she said. I have to know more.