Mexican Folklore: La Llorona (The Weeping Women)

If you like this story I can try to publish other short stories that have a creepy vibe, La Llorona is a famous Mexican folktale. It's popular among the Latino communities in many countries including America:

Many years ago, in a small town in the Mexico, there was a young, beautiful girl names Maria. She was the most beautiful girl in her town, and she knew this. Her family wasn't very wealthy, but Maria thought highly of herself, and so thought she deserved a husband as lovely as herself, and twice as rich.

One day a rich, handsome, and powerful conquistador came to Maria's town, she instantly fell in love with him, and his money. She decided to be flirtatious with the man, and eventually he became  swooned by her attempts. It wasn't long before the conquistador and Maria were married. Soon after the wedding Maria had their first child, and later another. She was ecstatic about her gained wealth and status in the town.

However as the married became older, Maria did too. She was still beautiful but her husband began to see her age as expiring her looks. He began to travel and stayed away for more and more time, only coming home to see his children and payed little attention to his wife. Maria was becoming Jealous, and jealously was something that Maria could not stand.

Maria was beginning to crack, her little world falling to pieces as his husband disappeared, and left her to raise the children -whom she loved very much- but made her so tired. Then on a stormy-looking day Maria walked her children by the side of a large river. The small family turned as they heard a cart being pulled down the road. Maria smiled, seeing her husband and thinking that he'd come to spend time with his family.

She called out to her husband, who stopped his carriage. He got out, but before walking over to them he turned back. Maria turned her head slightly to see he was talking to a younger, pretty Spanish girl. The young women in the carriage was dressed in wealthy clothes, and was clearly of equal class (if not higher) to that of Maria's husband. Maria's jealously grew, swelling. She wished to yell, scream, at the women, or her husband.

However she was sure that she was no longer anything in the eyes of her husband, if not just someone to watch over the children. She sighed, and looked at her children. They ran to their father, hugging him, laughing with the couple, enjoying their fathers company. No! They were enjoying Maria's husband's company. She grew ill with jealously, and sudden green-eyed envy for her children, and the women in the carriage, he was jealous of the whole world, and all of it's happiness.

When her husband began to ride away, he didn't glance at her when he went by. She grabbed her children harshly and began to turn, about to walk away, but as the faced the river in those few seconds, she let go of her children's hands, and ever-so-slightly pushed them. The two children tumbled and let out cries of despair.

It was only after they were swept into the river, and began to disappear did Maria think of what she was doing. She shriek and ran after her children. Yelling for them to try to swim, and come to their mother. She cried, and cried. Blinding her reddening eyes with hot, salty tears. Her children were gone, swept away by the strong current, but that didn't stop her.

Maria kept running, and running, and running. She panted, trying to look for her children, sweeping her eyes over the water. Because she wasn't watching and running blind, she felt the ground come from underneath her, sending her to the ground. In all the pain of loosing her children she didn't feel the crush of the rock against her skull, and her panting blocked the sound ofa crack when she fell. Although she was broken, she kept running.

The next day some boys playing by the river found the two children, both dead. they had been pushed ashore by the current, lifeless on the shore. Their faces contorted into the shape of death, and absolute fear, A few hours later a traveler from another town found the children's mother. Maria's children were buried at the local cemetery. The children's father and his female partner had disappeared the night before, and were never to be seen again.

As for Maria, she was buried where she was found, not far from the rock were she slammed her head. It's been said the Maria's cries for her ninos (children) can still be heard, echoing from the water. This is why Maria has been forever given the name La Llorona forever giving a chilling reminder of 'The Weeping Women' (translation of La Llorona)

La Llorona herself can be seen in her bright white burial robes, and still completely beautiful, walking as if entrances around waterways on stormy nights, screaming for her children to come to their mother, and begging for their safe return. Also if any child decides to wander from home, -or is to close to the water without their parents-  and La Llorona sees them, she may come up, angry that that child is alive while her's are dead, or worse mistake the child for that of her own.

No matter what she believes, never let The Weeping Women try to grab you. The children foolish enough to test the power of the La Llorona are almost always never seen again.

If you finished and are wondering why it's rating is under [R] (Restricted) it's cause she kills her kids, and later comes back as a ghost to kill even more kids. Because I was seriously asked why I though it should go under [R] instead of "Like PG. Cause it's not that bad."

....... (-_-")