02 | The Art of Love

R O S E

I laugh, tipping the rest of my wine back before turning to face him

"What do you do for work?"

"This and that." He shrugs, smirking at me, his eyes alight with amusement and focused on mine. The action has me almost squirming in my seat from the amount of attractiveness I feel towards him. "You?"

I laugh softly, leaning an elbow of the counter, glass still perched between my fingers. "I feel compelled to say this and that, but I'm an editor for a publishing company." His brows rise, head nodding slightly.

"Damn, smart woman."

"Is it smarts or skills?" I counter, twisting my fingers around the stem of my glass absently.

"Why not both?" He shrugs and the action has his shirt tightening along his pecks. My eyes drop to them for a fraction of a second before I force my eyes up toward his amused ones.

I flash him a grin before I turn towards to order another drink.

Keelie and Reece never made it back from their dance. Patrick and James left hours ago and I have no idea where Lachlan and Zhala went.

Which left me and the mystery guy all alone.

And yet I still didn't know his name. I wasn't sure if I needed to.

Nothing was going to happen and if I didn't know his name it wasn't going to. Because obviously, that was how life worked.

"Regardless, work is draining me right now. I need a break." I sigh, tilting my head back to stretch my neck out.

"Why not take a holiday?" He questions, lifting two fingers to the bartender, a new person caring for the bar.

"I have time off coming up."

"Where're you going?"

He focuses all his attention on me, turning slightly in his seat to face me. His knee brushing my outer thigh.

"To a wedding"

"Not exactly what I meant by holiday." He shrugs but chuckles. "I have a wedding coming up too." He rolls his eyes to the sky.

"Fun times, isn't it?" I say drily. "Another reminder that you're single and everyone else is growing up."

He throws his head back, rumbling a deep laugh that runs up my spine, causing a smile to stain my lips.