two.

"Dude, where have you been?" Arlo, the only person I would consider a friend in this school, asks immediately upon my late arrival into the lunchroom.

I huff as I take a seat next to him.

He is the only decent person I know in this miserable school and, not to mention, the only one that has remained by my side throughout all the shit that has happened to me. He's the only exception I'd make to have around despite wanting nothing more than to just finish off the rest of my senior year alone and drama-free. He's also without-a-doubt the greatest person I've ever met, and always knows the right thing to say or do. I would be a mess without him.

"Sorry I'm late, I just-"

"No, no. There's no excuse. You made me sit here alone like a loser for exactly twenty-three minutes, Anna."

I laugh at his immaturity.

"You are a loser, Arlo."

He pretends to be offended, placing one of his hands over his chest and widening his mouth dramatically before responding.

"Maybe so. But, even if I am, I don't want to be reminded of it for an entire twenty-three minutes!"

I shake my head, rolling my eyes at him. He simply shoves more mashed potatoes from his plastic lunch plate into his mouth.

"I have a good reason," I say.

He straightens up a bit in his seat, now seeming to be ready to listen. When he doesn't respond, I know that he's waiting for me to continue.

"You're not going to believe me," I add, not even knowing how exactly to bring it up.

Arlo, now interested, gulps down his large bite of mashed potatoes and leans in closer.

"Let's hear it."

I take a deep breath. I don't really know why I'm so nervous to talk about it.

"So, there was this new guy that was lost, right? And he was really frustrated, because he was late for his class, and had no idea where it was, right?"

Arlo nods along, and I can tell he's picturing the story in his head.

"So, I go up to him, and offer to help. And-"

"Okay, come on. Get to the good part already," he interrupts me.

I scoff.

"Impatient much?"

"Always. Now, just tell me!"

I look at Arlo, who is anxiously awaiting my response. I find it humorous how close he has leaned in, as if being closer to me would grant him the power to understand the story better or something.

"It was Ethan... the new guy. It was Ethan Dolan." I finally say.

Arlo's face goes blank, and he backs away, leaning into his original position. Then, he allows an incredibly delayed gasp to escape from his lips, covering his mouth with his hands soon after.

"The Ethan Dolan? Like, the one you have told me about for years?" He eventually asks.

"Yes, Arlo."