Losing Diane

I gripped her journal in my hands. I loved her. But she didn't. It's funny how life turns out to be. I turned the cover, revealing the first page of her journal. It was written September 7th:

             People say there's beauty within people as well as outside, but can there be beauties next to them too? Can everything around them just be beautiful because they're there?

I remember that day. It was the first day of school. She moved to our school that year. Diane always had something about her that was different. She was fresh, new and glamorous. She was fearless, strong, and brave.

She was in my English class and when she walked in, every eye was on her. Diane was a face you couldn't forget. She was beautiful without make-up and with one glance you could tell that she didn't know she was. Diane was one of those girls' who never knew the power of their own beauty. I was assigned to show her around the school and I was happy to do so, who wouldn't be?

We roamed the hallways and I'd pop in a joke every now and then and she'd laugh like it was the funniest thing she had ever heard. Diane was nice. Something caught her eye though. She couldn't stop staring at Colton Green. He was the hottest kid in our school, most popular, and the jock that everyone loved.

"Who's that?" she asked as she stared in awe of him, like he was god or something like that.

"Colton Green, you wouldn't want to get involved with him though, he's not that type of person to talk to you openly," I said. Maybe to keep her from him or maybe it was just because that was the truth. Colton was known for, well basically screwing the girls. Diane wandered off to him to get a better look. From a distance she was talking to him and laughing, but not the same kind of laughter as she had with me. It seemed more genuine. Not once did Colton smile. He looked at her like she was the ugliest thing he had ever seen in his life. I couldn't take it anymore. She didn't deserve this crap.

I stomped over there and reached for her arm, snatched it and marched back to where we were standing.

"Wow, he's so, perfect," she sighed.

"Aren't you going to ask why I took you away or be angry that I did that?" I said surprised at her response.

"He looks the same from where I'm standing. Gorgeous," Diane said.

"Looks aren't everything you know," I pressed

"I know that, I didn't fall in love with his looks, I fell in love with his soul."

"You don't even know him!"

"Why do you even care?! Don't talk to me again!" She left me and I was shocked. I've never thought she could be so naïve and foolish.

Her journal entries were short, but those few sentences said it all. She wrote so beautifully, it makes me miss her even more. I kept reading on. September 31st was the next entry:

             I feel invisible when I'm around him, he never bothers to take a look, or sneak a glare. Can't he hear my heart beating so loudly, my soul aching so strongly?

It was a whole month and she had never talked to me once since our argument. I watched her from a distance, not like a stalker, but like an admirer. Diane was always looking at Colton and doing something that involved him. At that point, she still didn't have any friends. She spent all her time on him. Never did homework or studied. Not that she needed to because she was brilliant without teachings. It bothered me though. How she liked him so much. I wanted him to leave forever. He didn't deserve her. And he obviously didn't want her.

I didn't know if I could continue on reading. I was already in tears and it was only two entries so far. December 13th:

People say that when you look at your crush, you're supposed to get butterflies, but all I get is sadness swept over me. Depression because I know I can't have him.