Sometimes Love Isn't Bad

Kinship. Trust. Respect. Love. A few things Talondressa hadn't experienced in ages-she hadn't allowed herself. Too much pain had come from them in the past...she knew better. She'd already lost everything-for good-because she'd felt those things. So she made a vow to herself: "I will never love, or expect someone to love me." It was for the best. Nothing like that would ever happen again.

But there she stood, before her Illidari. Despite everything she'd promised herself, every silent reassurance that this would never happen-she felt as though she could cry...cry from the kinship, the trust, the respect...and even the love she felt so strongly in her heart as Kayn honored her before all of them. Named her "Slayer." Praised her for her wonderful deeds and for leading them with conviction and strength. Every day she'd worried nearly to death that she wasn't doing anything right. But it was all for naught, and she knew that now. It made her so...happy for the first time in a long time. If only Illidan could see her now...maybe, she thought, he would be happy too.

In that soft moment, a dark shadow began to hover over her mind, erasing it all. Agonizing pangs shot through her as she was swiftly reminded of her faults, her shortcomings. Those who left her. Xailaraa. Lucidian. Probably the two most precious people in her life, aside from her brother...gone in an instant. Her child...his life was over in the shortest of moments, as the person Talondressa hated more than anything-even more than the Legion itself-cast her off the highest place she could, sending her down carelessly and watching in satisfaction as she landed lifelessly below. Saellawyn...Talon knew if she ever saw her again, her blades would find her throat and reave it apart without a second thought. The very notion sent a shiver of rage through her, causing her to flinch. Back into reality she came tumbling, suddenly aware of the sounds of applause and whistling from her underlings. Even the Shivarra Mother clapped once or twice. Talondressa immediately plastered a gracious smile onto her face and gave a polite bow. The attention was nice, though the good feelings were quite short-lived.

Once the announcement was over and she was free to go, she nearly sprinted to the upper balcony to get some air. Through it all, she'd barely noticed Sin'drai's haughty chuckle echo within her ears...taunting her. How weak and patethic Talon was...still obsessed with those long gone, hell-bent on revenge for having her precious lover stolen from her by some slut, bitter over an unborn child barely older than 3 months-

"Shut up," Talon seethed at the demon, her fists curling tightly as she moved to the very corner of the balcony for some privacy. She let out a tired breath and leaned against the railing, staring down at the vast, fel-corrupted expanse of Marduum. Her heart had been irrevocably destroyed; it was a fact. The only thing that kept her going day by day was the Legion...the need to defeat it. The need to please Illidan...to honor him. Aside from that, there was nothing left for her. Many, many times, she had considered offing herself and just waiting in the Twisting Nether...going to Illidan, or letting herself get captured by the Legion, whichever happened first. But the Illidari needed her. She was left in charge...she needed to see it through to the end. It was her duty. To Illidan, and to Azeroth. Not that she cared much for the latter.

"Talondressa?" came a gentle, yet grumbling and confident voice. It belonged to a man. The softness of it did little to startle Talon outwardly, though she was quite surprised that someone had come to see her. She slowly turned to the one who had spoken, glancing apprehensively at his energy before addressing him...it was Jace.

"Ah. Jace," she said cordially with a nod. "What brings you here?"

The Illidari gave a small smile in return. "I just...couldn't help but notice you, all alone in this corner here. You seem troubled."

The Slayer eyed him. "Not in the least," was her reply. "I was just thinking we ought to redecorate the place one day." She gestured down to the planet below.