Part V

V.

             Friday came and I did my best to avoid Rigel. I even rode the school bus and risked sitting next to the chess club members. We had a few classes together because he’d taken most of his subjects in his ‘advance’ class; apparently, he was too smart for our age. The only reason we had classes together was because he didn’t want to leave me completely alone. Had it not for me, he would have taken every classes n the advance sections of the school. I was very successful in avoiding him until Calculus. I wasn’t fast enough in gathering my things and he slammed his hands on my desk.

               “I know you’re avoiding me but I’m gonna need to talk to you later. I know you have a scheduled meeting with Mrs. Crow later because you got in trouble last time and I’ll go to you then. That’s after dismissal, you can’t ditch Mrs. Crow or she’ll fail you. And there’s no exit in the faculty lounge but one. Stop being so overly dramatic, grow up and I’ll see you there.” He talked so surely of himself and walked away but I stopped him. Never in my life have I ever let anyone talk like that to me.

               “I think I am capable of making the choice of who I want to talk to and see as of now, you’re not one of them. Oh, and I am not overly-dramatic. I think we know who here is soft-hearted.” Rigel is my best friend and it was cruel of me to say those words. His expression changed from ferocity to a bitter mask of hurt, which proves my point. He is softer hearted than I am.

               I walked out of the room and joined the frenzy of people going to their lockers. I couldn’t help but feel guilty about what I said. Rigel hadn’t done anything that bad. Maybe I am overly dramatic and I react too much. I hate to admit it but he was right about all the things he said and whether I liked it or not, I was going to have to talk to him sooner or later. But I’d rather later than sooner.

               After all my classes, I hurried to see Mrs. Crow at her office. Not much people were on this section of this school, nobody wanted to stick to the teachers’ nest but I had no choice. “May!” A familiar voice called out to me, though it was not Rigel’s. It was Chase’s. I froze in place and stiffened.

               He caught up to me and put his arm lightly on my shoulder. I flinched but if he noticed, he didn’t show because his hand was still on my shoulder. “May,” He said again.

               “Hey, Chase,” I said, my voice sounding strained. I forced a casual smile but from the looks of his reaction, I bet I look like I’m being strangled by the grim reaper himself.

               “Where are heading?” He asked. I don’t know why he’s asking. It’s obvious that I’m going to the teachers’ lounge. It’s the only room on this end of the building.

               “The teachers’ lounge, Mrs. Crow’s asking for me. Why?” Mentioning Mrs. Crow’s name made his eyes darken a shade. His green eyes, a lot like Rigel’s, burned with a fire of worry and anxiety. I wondered why.

               “I’m… I’m going with you.” He seemed shy, which was odd. Chase was the confident jock of Woodrow Wilson High School. What is it with him?

               “O…okay, i…if you say so.” I stuttered. I have a stuttering problem when it came to boys, specifically Chase Mathews of Woodrow Wilson.

               We walked to the teacher’s lounge in silence and he didn’t seem to mind, but I did. His eyes shifted uncomfortably from one thing to another. He keeps fidgeting and making these unconscious habits that seemed like a sign of nervousness. We reached the door to Mrs. Crow’s office and I knocked. She opened the door and glared at Chase.

               “Ah, Ms. Johnson, I told you I wanted to talk to you alone.” She gave emphasis on the word alone. It was evident that she did not want Chase around.

               “It’s okay, I don’t mind the humiliation.” I said as confident as y shy self could. I am so not comfortable with getting humiliated and punished in front of Chase, but at least he was here.

               Mrs. Crow talked to me about not sleeping in class and that was it. It was nothing of importance, just a sermon she could have told me in class. I went out of the room feeling and looking irritated, so did Mrs. Crow. She glared at Chase again, and unexpectedly, Chase was glaring back at her.

               “Next time Ms. Johnson, do come alone.” She glared at Chase some more before she slammed the door shut.

               Chase ushered me gently through the hallways in silence. “I think I better leave you here,” He said stopping suddenly. He turned to me and smiled his half-smile again. My heart wanted to leap out of my chest in anticipation. Was I waiting for a kiss? No, I shouldn’t. Expectation only leads to further demise. Expectation is the root of all hurt. His smile faded and walked away. I watched in silence as Chase sauntered through the halls and made a left turn towards the parking lot, disappearing from my sight. My heart deflated and I felt glum.

               “What did he say to you?” I turned and found Rigel walking toward me. “How long have you been watching?” I asked.

               “Oh, long enough.” He said casually, as if spying on me was normal. “I’ll drive you home.” He said walking the same hallway Chase did a minute ago.

               “No.” I said sternly and stood my ground. Does he think he’ll get away easily? His look softened and he came near me. “Look, I’m sorry, okay? I wasn’t lying. I swear I tripped. You know that hill by our house? I tripped there--- from the top to almost the bottom. My dad didn’t even bother making me change clothes and brought me immediately to the hospital and when we got back, you were screaming so we barged in. That’s it.” He said and raised his hands up, as if surrendering the verdict to me.

               His story was ludicrous! Why would he be up that stinking hill in the first place and why was his dad there? But I was tired of having arguments like this with Rigel. Honestly, he seemed very sincere but I knew he was lying. He was sincerely lying. He looked at me with puppy-dog eyes, and I validated his sincerity. He only ever allows himself to look like a lost puppy when he really wants something.

               “Oh, alright, alright,” I said in utter defeat. He made a whooping-cheering sound and dragged me toward the parking lot. “Yes! I’ll drive you home then we’ll hang out, okay? I promised, remember?” I suddenly remembered him saying that he’ll hang out with me Friday afternoon. Before I know it, Rigel was next to me smiling like an idiot every few seconds as we drive home.