Prologue

The lightning flashed as the pelting rain hit us all like tiny bullets from the sky. Worry bubbled up inside me as I untied the horses and yelled for everyone to wake up. We needed to move. Quickly. The sirens were getting closer and closer with every second that ticked by.

"Hurry up! They're coming for us!" I shouted. I climbed onto my horse's back and waited for everyone else. I may be eleven but I know that if we're caught, there's gonna be trouble.

Once we were all packed up and mounted, I kicked my horse into a gallop and headed for the side of Stickle Back Ridge. Stickle Back was a series of mountains all lined up to make one big mountain range that looked like a back bone. As we galloped up the side of the first mountain- Gray Cloud Mountain- I heard the sound of a trailer being unlatched.

The mud! Its giving us away! The hoof prints in the mud! Their gonna follow us up! I thought worried.

I listened as the sound of the horses died away. My watch clicked saying it was four in the morning. Estimating that we were at least an hour or so ahead of the police, I slowed down to a nice even trot. We followed the rugged trail up the side of the steep mountain.

"Guys, see the gravel?" I ask.

"Yeah" they all answer.

"Try to ride in the trees behind it. That will make them loose the trail." I clicked my horse into the brush and waited for my companions. 

We waited until the search team passed and then we darted down the other side of the mountain. What I wasn't prepared for was what lied ahead.