Chapter 9

For many, crying means sadness, but for Olive they mean so much more. These prodigious teardrops that roll down the dark skin of her face weren't only for the ones she lost but for the hope of a new start a new beginning.

"Hey Uncle Aisyah," she whispers with a slight smile on her face and tears still in her eyes. " I know...you tried your hardest to make up for the absence of my father by being there for me in every way possible. When my mom didn't believe in me, you did. You were there to show me the ways of a warrior and finish what my father had started. It was you...all of it was... you. I couldn't have done it without you and for that I am more than grateful...I love you Uncle Aisyah."

"Mom, you tried to love me and protect me the only way you knew how...it wasn't the right way, per say, but you tried. Despite everything that has happened you are still my mom who raised me and took care of me. I hope you are able to finally rest in peace."

At this point, Olive's tears slowed to a stop. She just sat and waited next to her family's graves, thinking of what would happen next. So much had happened in so little time. It had been almost a week since the events in Ellahnisia had occurred, and yet she still found herself only now being able to properly say goodbye. 

She felt another presence nearby and she turned to find Alaric standing behind her. "How long have you been there?" she said in a barely audible voice.

This was the first time he had seen her exceptionally vulnerable. In a soft tone he replied, "Long enough." He flopped down beside her on the lush green grass.

He stared at her for quite a while, his face twisted into a look of concentration rather than concern. She met him with a puzzled look of her own, and after a few more seconds of silence, she couldn't take it anymore.

"What are you d-"

"Look up, what do you see?"

Olive was still confused by this but answered anyway. "I see a sunrise."

Before she could say anything else, he cut in again, "Exactly! It's a new day! The time for change is now. Everything is different now that the Gnome King is dead. Killed by you, the woman from the prophecy. Everything good, bad, and downright ugly has happened for a reason. Your family's deaths were not in vain. You have saved a kingdom. Your father would've been more than proud of you. You did it. Olive, don't you see? Everything your father believed you could do, you did, and some more," he smiled and this time his smile was genuine.

She found herself gradually grinning back to, "I did, didn't I?" Alaric got up and offered her his hand to take. While she grasped it and he pulled her up to her feet he said, " Yes, yes you did."

Olive looks down at their hands and then up at his face with a smirk and said, "You know, I'm glad I didn't kill you."

His face went from sincere to a look of mock disbelief and mischief, "Now Olive, let's not forget the real story here. I almost killed you, I believe." He finished his sentence with that famous cocky smile of his. They continued bickering as they began walking away from her father's grave hand in hand. At one point, Olive had pushed him, and in their loud hysterical laughter, she looked back over her shoulder with a smile. Thank you dad...for everything.