Prologue

Roberts's POV

It was late spring and the leaves were already growing on the trees when patient zero appeared. People say he cut himself on a microscope slide with some virus on it, then he went crazy. Nasty stuff. Now, here we are: it's summer, and the infection has spread to Kitchener. So much for vacation. The school was let out early (more like evacuated) when the infection exploded in Toronto. People were getting infected like crazy, and it didn't stop spreading. I, Robert Nigh, am one of the lucky few who got to experience the infection first in Kitchener. This was before school was canceled and I was walking through the halls of Grand River High School at lunch when some guy staggered up to me. He had a funny look to him, but I just thought he was high. I didn't know it at the time, but I soon found he was infected. He took a swing at me but missed. I was a little angry, cause this guy came outta nowhere and tried to hit me, so naturally, I swung back. He caught my arm, but not how I expected: His teeth were locked just above my wrist. Confused, and more than a little angry, I twisted and pulled my arm from this kid's mouth and clocked him one right in between the eyes. My arm didn't hurt a lot at the time, but wacko here broke the skin. There were murmurs of "what's wrong with that guy?" And "is he alright?" But none of that concerned me. In about twenty seconds flat, my arm was on fire and I was seeing double. I blacked out before anyone arrived. Now here I am, what I like to refer as a "vegetarian". I'm a half - zombie who doesn't eat people. Kind of weird, I know. But my friends got the picture pretty fast. After a bit of convincing, they realized I did not want to eat them, and would much rather chew on some raw beef instead. Unfortunately, with all the buzz about the apocalypse, meat and such is hard to come by. Now here we are, four kids, with some guns, trying to stay alive. Who'da thought we'd end up here?

A/N~ I'd like to thank my friend Robert for writing the prologue. He will have a lot of input on these chapters as this was his story idea.