The Astonishing Night

"Yes. Yes. Okay, fine. Yeah. We're almost there. Okay." Officer Shaw ended the call.

"What is it Barrie?" Officer Jenkins inquired in his deep tone.

"Nothing as such , just the usual, Pick pocketing and a couple of minor burglaries. Winters are certainly of less interest for law-breakers, you see. Nobody wants to get outside their cozy blankets ,all they crave for is hot chocolate and fireplace." laughed the plump guy with a funny face.

"Certainly." smiled Clark from the driver seat.

It was a chilly night, a very cold one indeed. Two policemen Barrie Shaw and Clark Jenkins were on their patrolling duties.

There was something fishy in the wind that night, something that screamed danger . The sky was too dark, darker than most nights. The clouds hid the starts mischievously ,behind them. The stars which escaped from the balls of dust and smoke were about to witness a brutal misdeed.

" How is Cathy doing these days, still mad at you?" Barrie chuckled as he asked about his colleague's wife.

"Oh, I tell you.." just when Clark was about to detail about her, Cathy called. "Speak of the devil and the devil calls" he said humorously. Barrie smiled.

"Hey hon...yeah..oh,is it?...I don't know..not today I guess..yes,another of those patrolling nights darling...I know, I'm sorry...yeah,but...try to understand..true,but..sweetheart listen.."

"Cheesy names don't always work, do they Jenkins?" Barrie teased his friend.

It was quarter to midnight when Inspector Barrie spotted a tensed looking man from a distance. He was waving, as if giving an indication to stop.

"Hit the brakes!" exclaimed Officer Shaw. "There might be an emergency." By then, Clark too had noticed that figure and he stopped the police car just half-a-meter before the horror-filled fellow.

"Thank god! Thank heavens ! Sirs, I need your help ! My neighbours ! My neighbours have been captured ! Oh god,help me!" said the lean, fair looking man alarmingly, in his thirties probably.

"Calm down gentleman ! We'll help you.  Alright?" assured Jenkins , looking out of the window at the man on his left.

"Just hop in and tell us exactly where your house is located. " added Barrie.

"Okay, okay. I'll tell you" answered the guy, still in the state of shock. He opened the door and climbed in the backseat . He was wearing a yellow sweatshirt and black jeans. The hood over his face concealed most of his pitch black hair. His big eyes were popping out from his thick glasses. His face was craggy looking and unattractive .

After he was seated, Clark turned behind and asked "Would you now care to tell us about the exact location ?"

"Yes. Yes sir" he spoke hastily "It's half a kilometer away from here, straight."

Before he detailed the address , Mike had already started to accelerate the police car.

"Straight from here ,113,Lark hall street. 113 is my place. 114 belongs to the Stevens' ,

my neighbours . They need help !" He freaked out again.

"Alright. I'll call for help err... Mr ?" questioned officer Shaw.

He replied after a pause. "Umm..Ricky. Ricky Higgins." this time his tone was less severe.

" Do you need water, Mr. Higgins? We've got some here." Barrie offered.