Chapter 3

The next few minutes went by in a flash. I stepped out into the darkness, he turned and noticed me walking towards him. The light from the moon captured the features of his face uncannily.

"What do you want?" I asked. My raspy voice seemed distanced, almost as if it didn't belong to me. He stood silent for a moment, as if trying to figure out the best way to desert me. Then he spoke, "I have something very important to tell you Sarah..."

Oh God, I don't want to hear this, I thought desperately. Without knowing it, I started to scream at him. Things I never thought I'd say in a million years. I was losing control, cursing him over and over again.

"I know why you called me here. I know everything, Chris". I could feel the gun in my pocket, the cool, solid touch of metal made my fingertips tingle. "How could you cheat on me, you creep? After all I've been though, how could you?"

His face seemed startled, whether it was the gun or the fact that I caught him out, I didn't know. He just stood still, full eyes on the weapon now pointing at him. I could hear the voices in my head shrieking at me, telling me to pull the trigger on the gun.

It was all too much, the voices surrounded me, ordering me to kill him, to give him what he deserves. I couldn't stand it any longer, all the torment and agony was driving me insane. My fingers closed around the trigger. I heard the deafening gunshot. I looked up at his face, just before he fell to his knees, then face-down onto the ground. The helpless look in his eyes would haunt me forever, it was filled with a pain that wrenched at my heart.

I began to laugh hysterically. He got what he deserved, so why didn't I feel better? Why didn't the dark cloud hanging over my head go away? I walked up to him, turning him over. A dark liquid started to ooze out of his chest, he wasn't breathing. I closed my eyes and saw a formation of white dots dancing in the twilight.

Everything was quiet. The silence seemed to have stretched for centuries. My heart felt hollow and empty. It was getting harder for me to breathe. The stench of blood filled the air causing my head to throb. After years of suppressing my feelings I was finally free. I started to feel better about everything. A weight had been lifted from my shoulders.

Something on the ground beside Chris caught my eye. It glinted at me from the floor. Feeling curious, I picked it up and I suddenly felt a wave of nausea. I stood staring at it as if it were a cryptic clue to something else but I knew what it was. The answer was right there in front of me, shattering my illusions.

It must have dropped out of his pocket when he fell, I realized. How can something so small have such a big impact on me? Sudden realization had dawned on me. Hot tears stung my eyes turning the world around me into a hazy blur.

I could hear my heart beating rapidly as it was caught in my throat, choking me into a lifeless pulp. My knees caved in. All the noises around me quietened to a drone and I was left all alone in this savage world again...

*************************************************************************

Please vote and comment :) Huge thank you for reading it so far. Next chapter I'm going to write from Chris' point of view so you can find out the truth behind his actions. Stick around :)