Chapter 1: A New Start

The rain plummeted towards the ground, slamming into the ground. A car drove along the highway, the radio blasting. KISS played through the speakers, the driver singing. His name was Chris Malone. He was 45 years old, his hair a dark brown, but slowly fading into grey. His eyes were a dull blue, though still held hope for the future, not a lot however. In the passenger seat was his adopted daughter, Lapis Lazuli. She had bright blue hair, she kept it cut short as long hair frustrated her to no end. Her eyes were a vibrant green so full of life, even with a very troubled past. She didn’t reach Chris’ height, as she stood at 5’5. Her father stands at 6’1. Lapis was currently playing a small game she downloaded on her phone.

In the back sat a second child, Christian Malone. He had red hair, not naturally though. He died it red so Lapis wasn’t alone in school, she had the only dyed hair in the school at the time. Christian liked it and decided to keep the red color in his hair, same as Lapis. He had dark brown eyes and was the tallest in the family, being 6’3. Lapis and Christian were both 16, though Christian was holder by a couple weeks. Christian had his head in his phone, catching up on the Dragon Ball Super manga.

Lapis and Christian were nerds, both being big comic book fans, superhero fans, anime fans, Star Wars fans, and a multitude of other things, and both wore that title with pride. Christian wore a dark grey hoodie with a blue shirt underneath, All Might plastered on the front of it. He had on blue jeans and some old boots. Lapis was similar, though her shirt was of the Blue Lantern Corp from DC Comics. Their dad had on an old work shirt, a plain black T-shirt with paint stains all over it. He too had jeans on but some $12 shoes from Walmart.

They were heading to a small town called Beach City, restarting their lives after the devastation that destroyed them quite a while ago. Chris found out about the town from a friend, and he thought it was a great place for them to move to. One reason, it was home of very weird things, and considering the two children in the car, they would feel right at home. Another reason was that Beach City is very positive and supportive of the LGBTQ community, having a town wide pep rally during the summer every year, showing their support. Chris decided this was a great place as Lapis came out to him and Christian during 6th grade, which Christian responded with dying his every color of the rainbow to show his support. He kept his hair like that from the time she came out to the last day of school, which was 4 months.

The first one to break the silence, besides the music in the car, was Lapis.

“So, how much longer until we get to the new house? Long car rides suck.” She stated, bored out of her mind. Chris just shook his head.

“Only 20 more minutes, not too long.” He was hating the car ride too. They heard snapping coming from the back seat, Lapis investigated as she turned her head to see her brother dancing in the backseat and snapping. He had his ear buds in. She smacked the top of his head. She chuckled as he quickly looked up, annoyance was all over his face. He took an earbud out to hear.

“What was that for?”

“You were dancing and snapping, I had to annoy you.” She had a devious smile, resulting in a small sigh from the teen.

“Sorry, I was just balancing the universe.” He stated, making a quick reference to Avengers Infinity War.

“No! You don't get to, not after what happened to Spider-Man!” She was still very upset at that, even though the movie was released months earlier. She folded her arms, now mad and upset at remembering her favorite superhero dying. He snickered, he knew how to get under her skin. He put his earbud back in. Once he did, he started singing Alexander Hamilton from the musical, Hamilton.

Their father gave a warm smile at the sibling bickering that went on next to him. While the two teens acted childish, they were honor students and going into sophomore year at the new school.