Part 10. Wanted or Not

I walked into the Akatsuki’s hallway silently. They were making breakfast and relaxing in the lounge. I entered slowly, leaning in the doorway.

“Where were you last night?” Pein asked me.

“At Gaara’s floor,” I said.

“I want to make it clear that you aren’t wanted here. Someone very dear to us left, and Kami is trying to make you take her place. You will never fill her spot. You will never be wanted like she was. You will never be one of us. We don’t want you here,” he said sternly.

“Understood,” I said quietly.

I had to stop the tears in my eyes. Quickly, I turned on my heel, walking out of the room and heading away. Instinct told me to go to my own room, but I knew I couldn’t. I wasn’t Arashi anymore.

“God damn it. Starting a new life was a bad idea,” I grumbled.

“Starting a new life? You sound like Arashi did,” someone said behind me. I spun quickly to see Deidara there.

“I do?” I asked.

“Yeah. I’m Deidara by the way,” he said.

“Yuki, as you probably know,” I shrugged.

“Look, we don’t hate you. It’s just that Kami’s trying to replace Arashi with you,” he said.

“I know,” I said, lowering my head.

“Look, even if Pein tries to throw you out, I’ll stick with you, okay?” he smiled at me.

“Thanks. You’re a good guy,” I smiled weakly.

“Wait, that smile. You look just like Arashi,” he said, stepping forward and grabbing my chin, forcing me to look at him.

My heart raced. Had a simple smile given away my identity?

He released my chin, looking away.

“No. Her eyes are brown,” he said softly, starting to walk away. I looked at the floor.

“Deidara?” I asked.

“Huh?” he looked over his shoulder at me, though I didn’t look up.

“What would you say if…if Arashi was here?” I asked.

“I would try to find her. All of us would,” he replied.

I bit my lip.

“Why? What do you know?” he demanded.