Remember me

***

Time is flying so fast. I've been here for a week and a half. Steve already left for home, and Ryan leaves for Afghanistan in a few days. We've had a lot of dates so far, and I guess we're dating!

After a jog, I find a smoothie bar and decide to order something healthy.

“What can I get you?” The stand owner asks.

“Can I have a Strawberry smoothie with chocolate chips?” Okay, not that healthy.

“Make that two.” Ryan says, coming up behind me. After getting our smoothies, we sit down.

“So listen. I've been called to Afghanistan earlier then we thought.” Ryan tells me.

“How soon is earlier than we thought?”I asked him, my voice shaking.

He hesitates to tell me. “Tomorrow.” He answers, looking down.

“Oh.” I say, my eyes tearing up. No one said anything the rest of the time.

“Do you want me to go with you to the airport?” I ask him.

“Yeah that would be nice.”

“Okay.” I look at his eyes, they have tears in them. We're both disappointed, so I just go back to the hotel.

When I get there, I sit on my bed and cry. I think I'm just afraid something bad is gonna happen to him. Before I know it, I'm sound asleep.

                                                                   Chapter 4

                                                 Farewell

I zip my suitcase shut and grab my chap-stick. I'm leaving today too, so I don't have to go to the airport again tomorrow. I head down to the lobby and check out. Meeting Ryan outside, he gives me a quick hug and a kiss on the head.

“Ready?” I ask him, trying to sound positive.

“Yeah.” He answers. Not trying to sound positive.

The ride is quiet most of the way.

“How much longer until nursing school is done?” He asks me.

“About 3 weeks.”

“Oh. Hopefully I'll be done in time for your graduation.” I just smile at him, not wanting to say anything or I'm afraid I'll cry.

When we arrive at the his plane is boarding. He turns towards me and I start to cry. He gives me a hug, and a kiss. Holding me tight, I hear his heart beating. It's beating pretty dang fast.

“Bye Katey. I-I love you.” He tells me, starting to tear up.

“Bye. Stay safe. I love you too.” I say blowing my nose. He gives my hand a quick squeeze and boards the plane. Still crying, I watch his plane take off. I look at my phone and I have 20 minutes till my plane takes off. I quick run to Starbucks and get iced coffee then I board my plane.

                                                                       ***

After 3 weeks nursing school ends. Monica and I decide to go get new graduation dresses.

Arriving at the store, we look around. Monica finds a yellow sundress she likes and tries it on. I look around the store and find a bright blue dress with a white belt on it that's covered in flowers.