The Inferior Ones

This is just a part of the story I'm writing. I edited a whole other version of this, but it was accidently deleted, but before I did that I had backed up part of it before I did my whole edits to the story on google drive, so I hope you ignore the errors. Hope you all enjoy!

“Go back. Leave,” she says, staring into Phelix’s eyes. “I have to do this. I have to,” she repeats, looking away from him.

   Phelix grabs her face, touching his forehead to hers. “Shh... No, you don’t. You don’t have to do anything. Not a single thing,” he whispers.

   Phelix feels her tears running against his hands, and gently rubs them away with his fingers.

   She hiccups “Yes, I do. I have to. If I don’t-”

   Phelix cuts her off.

   “Shh... I know Clara. I know.” He wraps his arms around her, and she buries her face into his shirt, tears soaking the shirt. He can feel the wetness against his chest, and he clutches her tighter. He buries his face in her hair, smelling the lemon and strawberry scent that he first smelt oh so long ago.

   Could it really be that it was only a few months ago?

   Phelix looked up and froze.

   The door is opening.

   The door is opening.

   He only has a couple minutes.

   “Get behind me Clara.” Phelix commands. She sniffles.

   “Why?”

   “Just do it.” He pushes her behind him. She clutches her hands on the back of his shirt.

   “Phelix, what is it?”

   Phelix turns around to face her.

   “They’re here. For you. I’m going to protect you.”

   He looks into her face and is met with terror, as he thought would be there, and something else that he didn’t expect.

   Love.

   Absolute, burning, undying love.

   All for him.

   And he may never get to see that again.

   “I won’t let you,” she says, trying to step in front of Phelix, and she almost does before he grabs her arms and haul her backwards, picking her up in the air.

   She’s kicking and trying to hit him in the chest.

   “Put me down!” She pleads, tears streaking her face, like tiny rivers.

   She sounds so sad and depressed that it almost breaks his heart in two, but he ignores the ripping sensation running through him, and pushes her back.

   Phelix pins her against the wall.

   “George!” He yells.

   George comes out from his hiding space, running, with Taylor on his heels.

    Phelix looks back at Clara, and kisses her, soft and sweet. Then he pulls away

   “Get her out of here!” Phelix yells at them, his heart breaking even more.

   George grabs Clara and hauls her over his shoulders. Clara looks at Phelix and just before George carries her out the door, Phelix can hear a distant, “I love you.”

   And then she’s gone before he can even say it back.

   Phelix wipes away the tears that he didn’t even know were there, and turned around. Taylor’s there, pulling out a gun, not moving from her place.

   “Phelix, I’m staying with you. I can’t just let you die here.”

   Die…

   It’s almost like lighting a match, but instead of a flame igniting, it’s replaced by fear.

   He’s going to die.

   And there’s no escaping it this time. No clever plans, no tricks up his sleeve.

   Phelix is going to die, and there’s absolutely nothing he or anyone else can do about it.

   And that terrifies him so much that his knees feel like jelly.

   “Taylor, I can’t let you die for me. You have George, and I need you to protect Clara.”

   She looked at him with tear filled eyes, and hugs him so tight that his insides feel like they were being strangled.

   Then she’s gone too, running out the back door.

   Phelix looked across the giant pit, and saw the men he had been running from for months coming towards him.

   “Here comes the Calvary,” Phelix bitterly thought.

   He reached behind his back and pulled the gun out of his waistband.

   “I’m ready to die,” He whispered, closing his eyes.

   Then, he felt something hit him in the chest, and everything turned black.

   He only had one thought on his mind.

   Clara.