ZERO

❂ ❂ ❂ ❂ ❂

ZERO; VICTORIA'S RETURN

"I HAVE A MISSION FOR YOU."

His eyes lifted as the human underneath him went limp. He wiped away the stray traces of blood near the corner of his mouth, grinning wickedly at the vampire in front of him.

"I don't work for you anymore, Victoria. I've repaid you back for that debt decades ago," he reminded her, pushing the dead body aside.

"Please, Alexander. This mission is something I would dedicate my whole life to," the redhead pleaded, gripping his arm.

Alex was quick to retract from her touch. He knew exactly how Victoria manipulated others just to get her way, seeing as he was the first of her many victims. "Then go ahead and dedicate your whole life to it. My world is centered around me now, and you aren't in the picture anymore."

He could see her forehead crease and he caught her elbow before she could attack him. He grinned again, only angering the fire in Victoria's stomach.

"I'm not a child, Victoria. I know all of your tricks by now."

"Alex."

His stomach twisted at the sound of the voice in the entryway, and Victoria snarled. Jia walked forward and Alex closed his eyes, expecting to hear the scolding from his superior.

"You've made a mess," Jia hissed, stepping over the group of cluttered bodies. She turned her attention towards the redhead. "Victoria, it's nice of you to grace us with your presence. Is there something you need?"

"I need Alex for something," Victoria responded, clearly not thrilled by the girl's presence. "You'll let him do it for me, won't you?"

Jia grinned, eyes glancing at Alex. The boy flashed her a look, and she understood. "I believe that's his choice to make. Alex, do you want to go with Victoria?"

"I'd rather be human again," he spat. Victoria growled, taking a step forward. Jia was quick to step in front of the boy.

"You cannot keep protecting him, Jia," Victoria snipped. "I was the one who turned him, not you. He is still under my submission, and you can never break that connection."

Jia snickered, causing Victoria to feel small and bashful in front of the Chinese vampire. "Who said I was trying to, V? Alex and I have been fine on our own, and there's a reason why he chose to stick by my side instead of yours. You don't have any hold on him, Victoria."

"You should leave. You're only embarrassing yourself," Alex said, giving her another glimpse at his boxy grin.

Victoria's mind whirled, attempting to find a way to convince Alex to rejoin her side. "What if I told you that this mission could give you a human with the sweetest blood? She's one of the best I've ever smelled, Alex. Even better, she's has heavy ties to the Cullen family. I know how much you love a challenge."

Jia paused, observing Alex's wavering expression. She knew exactly how much the vampire despised the Cullen family, and he would do anything to wreck havoc on their lives. Her fingers gripped around his wrist and she shot him a warning look. "Measure your next move, Alex. I won't come and save you if this gets too far."

Alex smirked, already making up his mind. He knew Jia was lying, for she would come and save him any time he needed because she cared for him.

"I can handle myself, Jia." He took a step forward in Victoria's direction, and she knew what his final decision was before he even spoke. "I'll do it, Victoria, but you owe me in the future."

They shook hands, sealing the deal. Jia wasn't thrilled by the idea at all, but they both ignored her clear disapproval.

"So, do you want to tell me what I'll be doing?"

Victoria's eyes grew mischievous. "You're going to hunt and kill Bella Swan."

alex is going to be a bit of a dick but hey!! character development