Shadow Kiss

Chapter 1:

-----------------

"10 minutes until kickoff!" my dad's loud voice echoed throughout the house.

I groaned as I closed my book and rolled onto my back. I merely wanted to finish my book, but I knew that was no longer an option. Eyeing my window, I wondered if I could sneak out. However, knowing me I would just fall and break my ankle. Silently hoping that my family won't notice my absence, I quietly shut my door.

"Sky!! Hurry! 2 minutes until kickoff! Grab the snacks!" my dad's excitement showed through his loud voice.

Crawling off my bed, I hurried down the stairs to grab the snacks, and headed to our family room. For some reason I always ended up being in charge of snacks. I never understood this either, because seventy-five percent of the time I would trip and spill all the popcorn.

"Sky!" a new voice hollered, which I instantly recognized as my little brother, Mason's voice.

"I'm coming! I'm coming!" I yelled back to now the numerous shouting voices.

I rounded the corner, and was blinded by the overflow of light blue that was filling the family room. My dad was covered from head to toe in blue, with a wide goofy smile plastered across his face. My eyes scanned the rest of the room, glancing over at the twins, whose faces were glued to their iPhones. I mentally rolled my eyes at the two, who couldn't be disconnected from social media for more than five minutes. They were wearing matching North Carolina jerseys in preparation for the big game.

"Caleb, Chloe, get off your phones, you now the rule. No phones during the game," my father lectured.

"Chloe scoot over," I said while squeezing in between her and Mason.

"You're so bossy," Chloe teased but eagerly waited for me to sit next to her. Just like every other person at our school, she probably wanted boy advice from me.

"Just a reminder that I'm off the clock," I smirked at her, while turning my head towards the source of the constant jabbing I felt on my side.

"Sky, can you help me fix my blue wig?" Mason asked with his big blue eyes shining up at me.

I quickly smoothed down his curly blonde hair, so I could successfully make his blue wig stay on for the duration of the game. I sighed envying his blonde hair, which was radiant compared to my insignificant brown hair.

"3... 2... 1...," the buzzard blared through our new speakers, signaling the start of the game.

Within the first five minutes, I was already zoning out, trying to block out the constant shouts of approval coming from my dad. I shifted my focus over to Sarah, who was quietly watching the game, but usually ended up just staring at my dad. I tried not to feel annoyed, because I liked Sarah. But she wasn't my mom, and when she gazed at my dad like that, it made me furious inside.

Sarah caught me looking at her and smiled while asking, "Sky, do you want to go back to school shopping with me and the kids tomorrow?"

I looked down at my feet, "Sorry, I already promised Jade that I would go with her."

Sarah and I both knew that I was lying, but she just smiled, "That's okay, maybe another time."

This is how all our conversations are, civil. She reaches out to me as much as she can, but I can't find it in my heart to fully accept her. It's too soon. I mean my mom only died six years ago. Okay maybe it wasn't that long ago but is still felt like a fresh wound. I was grateful for Sarah though, I mean not many people would be willing to fix a broken family. All of us developed our own problems, that came with the loss of our mother. So for Sarah to marry my dad and instantly become the new mom to five broken kids, was pretty remarkable.

Refocusing on the game, I was shocked to see there was only two minutes left, and North Carolina was tied 1-1. My dad was sitting on the edge of the couch, nervously running his hand through his hair.

Suddenly he jumped up and screamed, "SHE SCORED!"

Everyone jumped up and started screaming in excitement as my big sister, McKenna scored the game winning goal for North Carolina, which was the number one team in the nation for girls college soccer.

I quickly realized I was still on the couch, so I put on a fake smile and celebrated with the rest of my family.

"I knew she would pull through. She always does. That is the kind of girl I taught her to be. I taught her to be a winner!" my dad screamed in excitement.

With all the celebrating going on, no one heard the door bell ring. Looking for any excuse to disappear from Mckenna's fan club, I hurried over to the door.

I peered through the peep hole, and recognized a boy from school holding a pizza. Not sure why he was here, I slowly opened the door. I was about to inform him that we did not order any pizza, but he instantly started talking.

"I have two large pepperoni pizzas for you, and that will be $25.67," he spoke.

"Well actually..." I tried to talk but was cut off.

"Hey I know you! You're in my Chemistry class!" he smiled proudly, as if recognizing me was an accomplishment. Even though we had been going to the same high school for the past three years.

"Yes, and hi, but..." I tried once more.

"Did you write down the chemistry homework? See I lost my planner, well to be honest I've never owned a planner. My mom always told me I should buy one, but they seem like so much work. Plus who needs the extra weight in my backpack? Not that I can't carry it, I'm really strong. I workout everyday..." Ethan rambled on.

Finally interrupting him, "Ethan!"

He paused and looked up shocked, "You know my name?"

"Of course I do, but that's besides the point. We did not order this pizza. I think you have the addresses mixed up," I smiled trying to hide my annoyance.

Ethan pulled out a piece of paper from his pocket and I watched as his face changed to a slight pink.

"Aw man! I'm sorry! This is my first week on the job, please don't tell my boss!" he begged with big eyes.

Slightly laughing at his worried expression, I reassured him, "I won't tell your boss, you are fine!" After pausing for a brief awkward silence I continued, "Well... have a good rest of your weekend."

Trying to quickly move past this awkward encounter, I started shutting the door.

"Wait! Sky!" he raised his voice slightly.

"You know my name?"

Ethan put on a sloppy grin, and replied, "I'm having a party tonight, and your officially invited! Here is my address, the party starts at eight. It's the least I could do, since your not mad at me for mixing up the houses! See you tonight!"

Slightly shocked, I watched him run down my porch steps, probably trying to hurry and deliver the pizza, while it was still hot.

Laughing to myself at the idea of going to party, I walked back towards the family room.

"Some idiot messed up addresses, because.." I stopped as I realized that no one was in the room, and I probably looked like the real idiot as I was talking to myself.