Story Starters!

I stepped into the street, the cold air biting at my bare skin. Frost coated the pavement like a fine layer of shimmering ice. Well. I guess Winter’s coming sooner than we’d all guessed.

We being Simi.

Decades and decades after the secrets of the Government were exploited, the place is now divided and categorised based on your country. And you live like that, together but separated by moral. 

The Government had lied, and people had taken action and rebelled against them. The typical everyday rebel-vs-government story followed, only that the outcome wasn’t quite as they had expected.

Everything had been changed, a lot. This place, Simi, was once Simi Valley, California, U.S.A. A flourishing, populated farmland. Now it’s just a lonely little community with nothing but a neo-trans train station that goes to all the bigger cities. Like Taru, (L.A) or the centre of life here in Nova, Fortis. It used to be Chigaco, a grand city buzzing with life. The river has since dried into a marsh, the city not near as glorious as it used to be. 

Taru is a pretty short train ride away, but on the other side of Nova, is Fortis. I don’t know why, I prefer going to Fortis than Taru. I don’t mind the train actually.

Nova is probably one of the most inhabited countries on earth now, apart from our cold neighbouring country, Astra.

I’ve heard it used to be called Canada, but you know, after something like that, it’s kinda hard to trust people.

I pull my beanie down so it covers my forehead more, but it seems like it’s already too late. My whole face is numb already. 

I pull out my knife, but keep it hidden. Technically we aren’t meant to have knives, but in a little hunting town like Simi, we just went with it. 

I use the knife alot more than you’d think, actually. There are hobos everywhere who just took the train out of wherever they came from. Some of the-Houses-as we call them, are pretty strict. Some even have a uniform. 

I have to run because I’ll be late; despite the fact the steel neo-trans station isn’t far away, the train runs on a constant loop, starting early in Taru and circling it’s way back to Fortis, and slowing at all the little towns in-between.

So if I miss it, there’s no way I can get on.

Underline slowing.

The train only actually stops in the big cities. It slows in places like Simi, sure, but then it goes all fast-as-light and zips away. So all the small town people just have to awkwardly hop over the tracks and jump on for the ride. 

I sprint past the abandoned sheds near my family’s home, and then push my way through town. 

We’re pretty much all homeschooled, since the closest high-school would be a half-days trip there and back, so I’m not going to Fortis for school. Or for work. No, I have enough work here helping the weekly hunts. 

Since we are a quite far from Fortis, we have to gather food for ourselves. But obviously there is a monthly crate shipping truck that loads supplies, but we still do most of the work ourselves. I sell the meat and nuts and berries and such that I gather, and it’s enough to keep paying the bills. We sell it to the local shops, since they rely on Hunters to do a lot of the food deal for them.

And they cook it and make it decent tasting. And we pay them to eat it.

And the process goes on and on and on. 

Hunter hunt, hunters sell to cooks, cooks cook, hunters buy. 

And that’s just how we work.

-*-

Hallo hallo! This is going to be the first Story Starter I write! To give you some info, this is basically where I get an idea or inspiration for a story, and write the first chapter. The catch is, you guys can use them! (Ask me first and/or give me credit if you use it!) 

But ya.

Because I know writers block is a huge problem for other people like me, so I though this would help :3

ALSO, If you have any requests for me to write you a chapter of something, or if you just want my help with ideas, then feel free to ask any time!

ADIOS

~Arrow