Prologue

Prologue:

The new rang out 'Batman is Dead'. The fallen hero had been killed by the Joker trying to save his city. All that was left of him was his mask broken in half and a cape. There was no body to recover from the explosion. Most importantly, there was no Joker to be found.

Among the many casualties, the body of Bruce Wayne had been found buried underneath the remains of Wayne Tower. The explosion had totaled the building. There hadn't been a chance for anyone to escape. Only three people survived Wayne Tower's collapse.

A city wide funeral had been held for Batman. In the middle of the city, a statue had been built. Flowers and candles surrounded the statue. Everyone at least shed a tear. Batman had saved them from harm. Now they were left unprotected.

The funeral for Bruce Wayne was a small affair. Only fifteen people bothered to come. Only three of those people stayed for the whole funeral. Towards the end of his life, Bruce had made enemies in both of his lives. He had a hard time separating the two lives from each other, so instead he separated himself from everyone. The farther away from everyone, the more he could assure that his secret was safe.

Robin sat in Bruce's office at Wayne Manor. He stared at a picture of the Wayne family. Bruce had to be eight or so in the picture. So small and innocent.

“Robin?” I called out.

He looked up at me, wiping away a tear in his eye.

“Have you taken your pills today?” I asked him.

“Not today,” he replied in a small voice.

I handed him the pills and a glass of water. He swallowed them whole, not even taking a sip of the water. “Any pains?”

“I'm fine, Raven.” he says.

“You aren't fine.” I argue. “It's a miracle you didn't die.”

“A miracle I didn't want.” he shouts.

My eyes widen. I start to back out of the office.

“Raven, I didn't mean-” he tries to back track, but it's no use. What's said is said.

“Save it.” I cut him off, running into my room. I slam the door shut.

'Dear Raven,

I'm unsure of what the future holds for me. Things seem to be getting darker and darker every minute I have my back turned. I have made enemies. One of these days, my enemies will have their victory. When that day comes, I will be dead. It is up to you to save the city.

That is not the only task I have for you. There is one more. Take care of Robin. You two need to take care of each other. Robin will inherit everything that I have, including my enemies. Don't let him loose himself. Don't let him become like me. He needs you, more than he will every admit.

~Bruce Wayne'

I read over the letter for the millionth time. Alfred had given it to me when Robin had come home from the hospital. He would've given it to me sooner, but I hadn't left Robin's side. He had been released the day before the funeral. I think he would have fought the nurses had they not released him in time for the funeral.

“Raven,” Robin knocked on my door.

“Go away.” I reply.

He sighs, coming in. “I didn't mean it-”

“Yes, you did. I get that Bruce died. You aren't the only one who lost him, Robin.” Tears started to fill my eyes. “I failed. I couldn't save him, so I saved you.”

He pulled me into his arms. “I'm just...upset.”

I bury my face into his neck. “Please just don't ever say that to me again.” My voice came out so broken and weak. I felt as if I was a scared little girl.

“I won't, I promise.” he says.

A month later we were in the process of cleaning up the mess. Most of the city had been cleaned up. The reconstruction of Wayne Tower has begun. Robin moved from his bedroom to Bruce's. I moved into the room across from that, knowing that I needed to be near him. He kept having nightmares after that day. Each night, they kept getting worse and worse. All I could do was wake him when they happened.

The loud doorbell rang into the manor. I made my way downstairs, yelling to Robin and Alfred that I had it.

“Are you Robin?” An African American man asked when I opened the door.

“No, who are you?” I asked. My body shifted into a fighting stance, ready to take him on if he proved to be a threat.

“Calm down, little girl. I'm here for Robin.” he says.

“You aren't going to get to him unless you go through me.” I told him.

He chuckles. “You must be Raven.”

“How the hell do you know my name?”

“I received a letter from Bruce Wayne.” he explained.

“Bruce Wayne is dead.”

“I received it a few days ago. It had been sent the day before he died. This letter speaks of a new plan for Gotham. It's called the Titan Initiative.” he says.

“What does that have to do with Robin?”

“It also involves you. We are to gather up a group of people with special talents, much like yourself. They will be trained into the next generation of Gotham's heroes.” he tells me.

“What does that have to do with you?” I ask. “And again, who are you?”

 “My name is James Duncan, but you may call me Cyborg.”