Prologue

Kataya's

I sat in the most uncomfortable bed possible. I didn't dare look up from my bruised hands to meet the gaze of my mother, the smell of hospital lingering all around, most likely sinking into our clothes. I didn't understand the smell.

"Mrs. Gonzales?" I looked up from my hands to my right, my mother quickly stood up, almost knocking over her chair.

"Yes?" She chewed on her nails while rocking on her heels.

"Ma'am, I'm sorry to say this, but your husband has suffered from severe internal bleeding.. We tried everything but-" My mother dropped her cell phone, not caring over the fact that it just shattered the entire screen. "I'm sorry for you loss." I snapped my head towards the doctor as reality set into the pit of my stomach.

As the doctor slowly walked off, jerking the surgery cap off his head, my mother began to hit me. She screamed loud enough to cause nurses and patients to stare our way. It was long before doctors had to pull my mother off of me, managing to tear out my gauze that kept me from bleeding out.

"It should have been you!" She screamed. "It should have been you!" Over and over again as they strapped her down to the bed besides me. She suddenly stopped as her eyes widened at me. "She's bleeding! Someone help her, get off of me!" She began to fight them off.

My gaze slowly fell down my stomach where my hand laid, blood rushing out of my body and all over the floor. I fell back onto the bed, my eyes still glued to my mother as she cried reaching out to me. Doctors and nurses beginning to crowd my vision until darkness engulfed me.