The Cure

Prologue:

                “It is time.”

                Dr. Matthews looked up at the aging Chinese man.  Dr. Wu was the head of the research department at their secret facility.  He cocked his head to the side, pointing to the cage.

                As if on cue, the creature let out a bloodcurdling scream.  Its teeth gnashed against the metal crate, creating a horrible scrapping sound as her enamel tore away.  Her eyes rolled into the back of her head as she clung to the cage, all the while screaming.  Her eyes never left Dr. Matthews; she inhaled with content as she watched the pulsing blood vessel in his neck. 

                “Are you sure?” he asked the chief, doubting his judgment.  “This could end life as we –“

                “Trust, my intern, trust.  We are making the world a better place.  But I digress.  I will give you some time to prepare yourself.  Would you like a water?”

                Dr. Matthews shook his head yes, thankful that the older man understood his fears.  His chestnut hair was damp with sweat as Dr. Wu left the room.  The door locked with a click. 

                Realizing what was happening, the young scientist ran to the door.  He screamed, his voice thick with tears.  They were using him to test the creature.  The “cure to humanity” as they called her.  He stopped when his antics were interrupted by the horrible sound of metal bending to an intruder’s will.  He heard a wicked giggle, and turned to face his demon of death. 

                He gasped at her image.  The once beautiful young girl was now a vicious monster.  Her blonde curls were matted with filth.  Her skin had a ghostly shade.  But her eyes had changed the most.  The pools of shimmering blue had been replaced by midnight black eyes, surrounded by red.  Her blood. 

                The creature smiled.  Her once perfect teeth were now mangled and pointed.  Many were chipped from her attempts at escape.  She flicked her tongue at the intern.  She then let out a high pitched scream that echoed in his ears.

                “I love you Rosie,” whispered Dr. Matthews.

***************************************

                On the evening of April 8, twelve creatures were released from the Johnson Research Department in southeastern North Carolina.  All but one had bloody bite marks.  A few were missing limbs.  One, dressed in the remnants of a laboratory coat, turned to look up at the facility.  Hunger overtook the once handsome young intern, and he ran to catch up with the group. 

                The powerful blonde walked at the front.  Her midnight eyes shone dramatically in the growing moon light.  A sudden instinct overtook her as she smelled something.  She threw her head back in anticipation and breathed in. 

***************************************

                “Jimmy! Get out the damn woods!”

                The wobbling toddler looked back at his father, who had walked back into the garage.  Little Jimmy giggled as he saw a rabbit dart out of the woods and into the field outside his house. 

                “Wabbid Daddy wab-” his sentence was cut off by a scream of pain as something bit into his shoulder. 

                “Jimmy!”

***************************************

Author’s Note!

                Thanks for reading the prologue!  Please comment and tell me if you like it.  For the record, I am not trying to copy the Walking Dead.  Any similarities are unintentional.