5. Jigsaw Puzzle

New Scotland Yard, Westminster, LondonThursday, the 4th July4:50 p

Thursday, the 4th July
4:50 p.m.
*

"What did you do after you found the body in the pool?" asked the second detective that had been strangely quiet for a while. Though he could have saved Keith the trouble of asking that.

"We of course tried to get him out," Keith retorted with an eye roll. "We suspected he was dead, but we needed to be sure, so I went in and fished him out."

The first detective eyes narrowed and Keith wondered what he was suspecting again. "But he was already dead," he said sounding nearly too casually. 

Keith only nodded as the detective took another note. Making him wonder how much the guy had already written down in his notebook. 

"And you didn't know him?"

"I had never seen the guy before, which relieved me as much as it upset me to be honest."

His eyes were narrowed again. "Because you had no idea what was going on?"

"Exactly nor what we were supposed to do now. Charlie and I decided to go back to the living room and speak with the others first before doing something else. I mean at that point we didn't have any clue what was going on, for all we knew the man could have just got lost in the storm and ended up in the pool on accident..."

"So you left the body next to the pool and went back in?"

Keith nodded. 

*

Cotchford farm, Hartfield, East Sussex.
Tuesday, the 2nd July
9.30 p.m
*

The living room was brightly illuminated, though the atmosphere still was rather gloomy. Anna and Janet were still sitting were Charlie and Keith had left them, but now at least Mick was sitting next to them too. Frank was checking out the food and for a moment Keith nearly thought everything would finally work out, despite that he and Charlie had just found a dead body and he was wet to the bones. To be fair Charlie was as wet as him without having been in the pool, which wasn't really a comfort... A towel instead would have been nice. Keith was shivering, hopefully only because of the cold and not because of any worrisome thoughts in the back of his head, he might have.

He tried to tell himself that it could have only been an accident, there was no reason to suspect anything else. Still Keith couldn't shake the unwell feeling off, it was too odd to be luck or whatever you called it in this case, but why should a dead stranger mean anything to them? It might sound harsh, but if somebody really wanted to scare them wouldn't be killing one of them be far more effective than somebody they didn't know? Though Keith was sure this could only be an accident, the others needed to hear about it... Just as he was about to open his mouth, Mick interrupted him.