Reflection Pieces

(Story of Your Life-MW)
I have not heard this song that is playing on my television in, I do not know how long.  Youtube says that it was published seven years ago.  Seven years ago.  I was fourteen years old.  As soon as the chords struck through the speakers, I was transported back to my childhood living room.  I can vividly picture the dilapidated green floral couch sitting reverently against the very Victorian looking wallpapered wall.  There was a waist-high stereo system in the corner, blocked by a sculptured white pedestal, holding a vibrant green plant.  The plant looked like a tree, maybe a distant cousin of a palm tree turned fern. 

The song would play off the album that we owned and I knew every word.  Although I have now no longer heard the song in months, I knew every word.  Its like the file of lyrics was somewhere in the back of my mind and it did not take long to pull it out. 

(Just Be Held-CC)
Now I have a new song on.  It came the weeks of May 2016.  Or at least that is when I first heard it on the radio and burst into tears on my drive wherever it was that I was headed.  When life had cut me off and I knew I would eventually be okay, but as it was in the moment, I could not see in front of me.  They may not have been my favorite band, even when I did listen to this type of music, but every once in a while, I would find one track of theirs that would suck tears from my eyes. 

(J In Disguise-BH)
What next?  Only another reflection song.  My poor Christmas playlist is still trying to plead its way back into my ears.  I won't let it.  I know all the words to this one too.  It does not matter that that none of these songs have ever crossed their measures on this screen, they have in my heart.  I have to laugh that, when this came out, I was so excited to have a song that did not sound like any other one.  It was upbeat.  Laugh out loud!  Its no where near the songs I listen to now, ones that I hold to so dear. 

Actually this song does not have any strong memories to it as I supposed.  I know I can find some tho.  There are a few songs that I refuse to listen to because they connect me to mom as her favorite songs.  A few bands that I refuse to listen to.  Just no interest whatsoever.

(Press On-M)
I own all her CDs.  Well, the first four.  I do not have her remix one or the newest one.  I saw via twitter that she had a new album out.  Out of all my celebs I follow on twitter, I have a few that I still follow from my childhood. Not very many tho.  She was my hero.  I have her autobiography that is signed and I have a shirt that I received for Christmas one year.  Of course I know all these lyrics too.  It was something that connected me to Mrs. K.  I saw her live at the Edward Jones dome one year. I think I cried.  Then I exchanged her for Demi Lovato.  I have seen Demi as well, so they are even in their concerts.  Demi is heading back on tour tho, so she might outdo Mandisa. I always knew that if I had a body image problem, I would come crawling back to her.  But instead I watch Simply Complicated. 

(Lifeline-M)
I think I will always hold a spot in my heart for her music.  One of these days I will listen to the new stuff.  You never know.  In the event that I purchase Demi's new CD, I might pick up Mandisa's.  They will both be my role models for life.  I will always go back to them.  I do not know Demi's old stuff; I look to her latest singles and album tracks for fresh air.  I creep back to Mandisa's first albums for my rescue.  I can revisit old tears and late night drives of sobbing in the back of the van, not knowing why but just that it hurt.  I thought at the time that it was my dad but perhaps it was home life too.  It was such a difficult burden to walk around with. 

These are my reflections.  Until next time.