his first kiss

note: this is the conversation between a dying man and his wife

It was a warm, sunny day, and the sickening scent of flowers was everywhere in that hospital room. I held his weak, frail hand. Trails of tear ran down my eyes, and I could barely grasp the idea that he could die on such a beautiful day. The man I loved for years and years was in front of me, dying. Yet there were glimmers of happiness in his eyes.

"How can you be so happy?"
"Remember the first field trip we took together in our sophomore year?"
"I... don't believe so."
"Well, we went to the zoo. You pointed at the monkeys and told me I looked like them."
"... really?"
"Yeah, and you bursted into fits of laughter when I imitated the monkeys' faces."
"Oh, I-I think I remember."
"You even brought twenty dollars, despite the teachers warning us not to bring money."
"And I bought you that funny elephant hat, right?"
"I wore that hat all day. And you showed me the dolphins and... I remember your eyes lighting up with pure joy."
...
"How do you still remember this?"
"Hold on. I'm getting to the end."
"Alright, alright."
"After we visited the things you wanted to see, I presented you to the birds."
"And you started making bird sounds."
"Yes, like a fool. We ate lunch together afterwards."
"I bet you don't remember what I ate."
"You ate a turkey sandwich packed by your mom."
"That was a joke! Even I don't remember what I ate all those years ago."
"After lunch, we looked at the snakes, despite your irrational fear."
"Hey! Look, that was a rational and logical fear."
"Yeah, right. Anyways, we bought ice cream, but you dropped yours."
"And you gave me yours. It was chocolate, right?"
"No, it was mint. Afterwards, we came onto the bus after meeting up with the rest of the class."
"I don't remember what happened afterwards."
"We sat in the back. You were tired, and I was still wearing that elephant hat."
"And?"
"And you said to me, 'I'm sleeping right here, right now, on your shoulder, whether you like or not.'"
"I find that so hard to believe."
"You did. You smiled up at me, and I smiled back. You fell asleep on my shoulder, and I kissed you on the lips while no one was looking. That was my first kiss."
"And so while I was sleeping, you kissed me on the lips? That's not how I'd imagine your first kiss to go."
...

I forgot he was dying. His utterly hilarious remarks kept me from crying the entire time. It was only that brief moment of silence that made me realize the situation we were in.

"You're still dying."
"But you're still here."
"I'm sleeping right here, right now, on your shoulder, whether you like or not."
"Okay."

I got onto the small hospital bed with him, and we slept. Only my sleep didn't end with a flat line. The doctors rushed in as soon as possible. They found me sleeping on by dead body. He was pronounced dead, and his funeral was on a dark, gloomy Tuesday.

wallflower_r
end note: sorry for using simple words too often. it's just that i thought it'd be more realistic to use those words in a dialogue.